Stocktake programs

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
agregory
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Townsville
State/Location: QLD

Stocktake programs

Post by agregory »

Hi everyone

What do you all use for stocktake programs?

I have Omega Scientific's Laboratory Stock Controller program - it's quite old now.
I've tried Quartzy but it doesn't do all that Stock Controller does (historical purchase dates/prices etc).

I'd rather not use spreadsheets etc. Any other programs you use?

Annette
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College
State/Location: NSW

Re: Stocktake programs

Post by Marama T »

I used Chemwatch FFX Gold in other schools, but just use Excel now.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

same Excel, use information from Riskassess program; DG class, PK group, UN, CAS and user codes
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

macca wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 13:10 same Excel, use information from Riskassess program; DG class, PK group, UN, CAS and user codes
same
labbassistant
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollongong High School

Post by labbassistant »

Hi all this might be a silly question, but I'm trying to see if ChemWatch is easier to use than excel for the stocktake, and I'm entering in the quantity of methylated spirits we have (current volume) and its is asking for the maximum volume. Does this mean the max we are allowed to keep onsite?
If this is the case, where do I find that information for each chemical? I've looked in CSIS and I can't find anything on this.
Thanks!
agregory
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Townsville

Post by agregory »

I wanted a Stocktake program for everything in the lab - beakers, flasks etc as well as chemicals, so Chemwatch won't work for that
ottenc
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Leighland Christian School
State/Location: TAS

Post by ottenc »

labbassistant wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 09:22 Hi all this might be a silly question, but I'm trying to see if ChemWatch is easier to use than excel for the stocktake, and I'm entering in the quantity of methylated spirits we have (current volume) and its is asking for the maximum volume. Does this mean the max we are allowed to keep onsite?
If this is the case, where do I find that information for each chemical? I've looked in CSIS and I can't find anything on this.
Thanks!
I treat this as the maximum you will usually have. If you usually have 2 bottles of spirits in your chem store, how many mL or L will that be? If you usually have 2 500mL bottles, regardless of how full they are, I'd put the maximum at 1L
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

It's the max you will ever store. I have mine set at 2L
Merilyn1
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

labbassistant wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 09:22 Hi all this might be a silly question, but I'm trying to see if ChemWatch is easier to use than excel for the stocktake, and I'm entering in the quantity of methylated spirits we have (current volume) and its is asking for the maximum volume. Does this mean the max we are allowed to keep onsite?
Thanks!
Yep, common practice to show the maximum quantity you will ever have. For example, if I buy sodium hydroxide in a 500g container and only ever have one, then the quantity is 500g whether the container is full or not.

Keep in mind, there is no legal requirement (in NSW) to show the quantities of your chemicals on your register. Good to have this information but not mandated. You would need to include this on a manifest but most of us will never come close to needing this. The quantities for a manifest can be found in the WHS Regulations.
Merilyn1
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

agregory wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 09:31 I wanted a Stocktake program for everything in the lab - beakers, flasks etc as well as chemicals, so Chemwatch won't work for that
Don't know of anything. Spreadsheet is usually the easiest. If you were super good on data bases you could try that.
I use a spreadsheet.
labbassistant

Post by labbassistant »

Hi all,

I'm thinking of switching to chemwatch for our stocktake, and I've spoken to another labbie about this, but does anyone know if you're meant to run a report after all information has been entered? Or is it just when all quantities have been entered that is complete, and you can then print each storage location and have a hard copy?
I know when I do the excel program from CSIS, that there is a report to run which generates a list on total quantities for each DG class.
Is this something that Chemwatch does also or not?
Hope this makes sense..
Thank you
ottenc

Post by ottenc »

I've been playing with Chemwatch attempting to run a report that would give this to you. I have found a dashboard that gives this data when set up correctly. Does this look like what you'd want?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
labbassistant

Post by labbassistant »

YES! Can you please tell me how you did that? Thanks so much!
ottenc

Post by ottenc »

On the main page (when you first open) there is a button for 'dashboard' that has a picture of a pie chart. Go there and then 'add widgets' for the data you would like to see
labbassistant

Post by labbassistant »

Awesome thanks so much, I added them.
I see in the top right corner there is a report button, is this something you (or anyone) uses to generate a report or would you just print the widgets page?
ottenc

Post by ottenc »

There are a number of different report types on there, and they could be useful I suppose depending on what you're doing. But other than a copy of my manifest (material, volume, dg, location), I can honestly say I don't use anything like that. But then I've only been in the job for a few months, so I'm hardly an expert!
labbassistant

Post by labbassistant »

No worries, that has definitely helped me. Thanks again
labbassistant

Post by labbassistant »

Hey,
I've been adding chemicals to chemwatch for our stocktake, and when I click and drag across to the corresponding folder, it says 'successfully added', but when I click on that folder it is not there...
I've checked the others to see if I accidentally dropped into the wrong one but no I didn't.
Has this happened to anyone? And is there something I am doing wrong or an easier way to add to the folder?
Thanks!
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC

Post by bigmack »

Alas that is the sort of annoying thing you will get with Chemwatch .Not to mention , the abysmally slow response to anything you do on it . The random lockups , the chemicals it randomly adds over the next few months .

It sucks . That is why most of us have now created our own Excel database . Sorry that wasn't helpful . :console:

At any stage , you can save a report as an excel file and continue to make your own .I have saved a copy of all our SDS's on our school server and have a link on each Chemical to that SDS.
labbassistant

Post by labbassistant »

Added chemicals?!
We have used excel for years but I worked at another school and they use chemwatch for their stocktake and it seemed so much easier so I thought I'll give it a ago (still keeping the excel spreadsheets), I guess I'll wait till next year and see how I've managed :crazy:

Thank you!