MLD Boards

for anything else that doesn't fit.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

MLD Boards

Post by bigmack »

We received our MLD Board a few weeks ago . Luckily for us , the Science ones have been wall mounted and the old projector/smartboard removed .

My wife works at an other school and their Labs have the trolleys. She says its trip hazard working around the trolley legs .

The rest of our school with two exceptions also have the trolleys and the teachers are all complaining about how much space they are taking up .

Then there is the Remote Keyboard/mouse Dongle that they stuck out the back corner of our boards . It's a big Steal me flag and already we have had one pinched meaning we have to buy a whole new keyboard/mouse .So I have the job of taping the dongle in the lead and repositioning it so it is less attractive on all 44 boards .( not that it worries me , I am one day a week IT support)

Other than that , teachers seem to be embracing them and have had no other complaints as yet .
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS
State/Location: NSW

Re: MLD Boards

Post by RosalieL »

What is an MLD board?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Good question Rosaliel
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
labbassistant
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollongong High School

Post by labbassistant »

Main Learning Display (I'm pretty sure)
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Yes MLD is yet another DET acronym :crazy:

It's a replacement for the older Smartboards . They decided not to call these Smartboads as that was a brand name .
We have got 44 of these at our school . It's part of the NSW DET Rural Access Gap program LOL ,they call it RAG :clap3: ....can never have enough acronym's :whistling2:

They have an attached Mini PC so teachers don't have to tie up their Laptops , however they can connect up their Laptops if they want . Our MLDs have Airserver Wireless casting so they don't need an HDMI cable .Some MLD's don't .

These boards have touch screens and teachers can use them as a whiteboard or draw over what ever is on the screen .

The ones on stands are motorised so they can be raised or lowered.
MLD1.jpg
MLD2.jpg
MLD3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RosalieL
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Oh wow! Fancy!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Thank you again Bigmack
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
J
School: DHS

Post by J »

We have a heap of those here too. They just turned up one day. We didn't even know they were coming.
Some of the teachers were very put out, declaring that we didn't need any more technology as we had the old data projectors in every room.
Now I think they can't imagine life without them :cheesy: :cheesy:
They are pretty good :thumbup:
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Hi J
wondering if yours are wall mounted in science ?
Of the 44 we got , only 8 were allowed to be wall mounted .Luckily science got 5 of them.

I don't understand the thinking . Those stands are worth $2000 . The wall mount brackets we have in science wouldn't have cost $75 and it took two blokes around an hour to take off the old projector and screen and install the MLD.
it took them longer to assemble the fancy stand setup. Then there was extra cartons to dispose of .

They are an accident waiting to happen .Our Home economics teachers have to wheel theirs out side every lesson as there just isn't enough room in the classroom to fit it .
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

bigmack wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 14:59 Hi J
wondering if yours are wall mounted in science ?
Of the 44 we got , only 8 were allowed to be wall mounted .Luckily science got 5 of them.

I don't understand the thinking . Those stands are worth $2000 . The wall mount brackets we have in science wouldn't have cost $75 and it took two blokes around an hour to take off the old projector and screen and install the MLD.
it took them longer to assemble the fancy stand setup. Then there was extra cartons to dispose of .

They are an accident waiting to happen .Our Home economics teachers have to wheel theirs out side every lesson as there just isn't enough room in the classroom to fit it .
OMG what a nightmare, classic department ordering and planning without consultation in the classroom first.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

When ours arrived, there are 3 labs which have a dais in front of the board, so the stand obviously wouldn't fit there. It took our TSO 2 full days to get a work order allowing them to be installed onto the wall instead of a stand! The rest will be wall mounted eventually, within the next 9 months or so I have heard...
J
School: DHS

Post by J »

Ours are on stands and for the first few weeks they sat unused at the back of the room because the teachers were happy with the existing smartboards already mounted on the front wall.
Teachers are now happier to use them because they are so much more user friendly than the old ones.
We have so much old technology here that could be used to better advantage (apart from those that just need to be chucked out).
We have a mounted smartboard in every room in the school, as well as these new ones on stands - so much wasted money and resources :redcard: :redcard: