Microscope purchasing

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Microscope purchasing

Post by RosalieM »

Hi All,
I know there has been a lot of talk about servicing and repairing microscopes, but I need to purchase several microscopes for next year - both monocular for the junior classes and binocular for seniors. Are there any companies/brands/models that stand out from the rest? Or are they all fairly similar? Are there any to be avoided? I have looked through catalogues but it is so hard when they look the same in the picture but have $100 difference in price tag! Any information is appreciated!!
Rosalie
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Re: Microscope purchasing

Post by Labbie »

I would not get Carton Stero Microscope's, put out by Science World P/L

They have a plastic case around the objectives, it is this plastic case, that brakes so often. It is not very strong, and cracks, over time we have replaced these case's. You can only turn the objectives via the case.

That is the only fault I have found.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
cactus155
Job Title: Senior Laboratory Guru
School: Bayview Secondary College
Suburb: Rokeby
State/Location: TAS

Re: Microscope purchasing

Post by cactus155 »

I use Australian Instrument Services and use the model AIS-M100FL, pretty good allround microscope for use in a High School, also they sometimes have offers where you Buy 2 and get the 3rd free. Also they have offices in Victoria and New South Wales