Quadrant storage

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

Quadrant storage

Post by Kathryn »

Any creative ideas on how to store and transport sets of quadrants?
Kathryn
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Re: Quadrant storage

Post by melsid »

Nothing creative - ours are leaning against a little used shelf in the storeroom and are then leaning against a handy wall in the nearest preproom when they have been ordered for a lesson.
gotolady

Post by gotolady »

We turned a stool upside down and store the quadrants in them.
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

Our quadrats (there's no "n") come apart at the corners, conveniently. They're just dowel rods held together with tubing at each join.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Does anyone have 1m quadrats with dividers?
Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

I made ours with PVC electrical pipe, corner connections and elastic cord running through them. So no they do not have dividers. We now have a set of ten which are hard to keep nicely together. I actually made a bag for the first lot a made a few years ago, with a backpack strap to make it easier to carry but my boss was telling me it is a bit hard to put them in the narrow end.
bigmack
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Kathryn wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 07:54 I made ours with PVC electrical pipe, corner connections and elastic cord running through them. So no they do not have dividers. We now have a set of ten which are hard to keep nicely together. I actually made a bag for the first lot a made a few years ago, with a backpack strap to make it easier to carry but my boss was telling me it is a bit hard to put them in the narrow end.
I like that Kathryn.
Ours are home made out of wood and are so old and broken they need replacing .
Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

It was one of my at home lockdown jobs. :)
bigmack
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

What size PVC pipe did you use ?
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

RosalieL wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 12:06 Does anyone have 1m quadrats with dividers?
I have had them at a previous school. They weren't huge, which made them easy to store. A few hooks on the storeroom wall was all they needed. Teachers never complained about them. Maybe it was all they were used to?
Here, we have huge timber ones - about 1.5m square. Held together with wing nuts, so the theory is they can be dismantled. It is so fiddly to do so, I just leave them intact. I have an odd space out of the way in the second prep room when they are just leaning up against the wall.
Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

The pipe is 20mm. It came in 4m lengths from Bunnings. Pretty cheap to make a set. I have not purchased the elastic cord yet for this lot. I know last time I had some trouble finding suitable cord but eventually found it at a camping shop. Haven't spend the time looking yet.
Quadrats.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Merilyn1 wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 10:08
RosalieL wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 12:06 Does anyone have 1m quadrats with dividers?
I have had them at a previous school. They weren't huge, which made them easy to store. A few hooks on the storeroom wall was all they needed. Teachers never complained about them. Maybe it was all they were used to?
Here, we have huge timber ones - about 1.5m square. Held together with wing nuts, so the theory is they can be dismantled. It is so fiddly to do so, I just leave them intact. I have an odd space out of the way in the second prep room when they are just leaning up against the wall.
We only have .5m ones with dividers at 10cm intervals. The biology teacher was talking about getting some bigger ones but she wanted dividers for the smaller squares inside the 1m square. She's decided to stick with what we've got for now.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Rosalie - that's a winner. Sounds like a difficult thing to source or construct and a nightmare to store. At the end of the day, all they need is consistent sampling sizes appropriate for what they are counting. If they need a larger quadrat they could use rope - yes it won't be divided up but at that scale it probably doesn't need to be.
My opinion the larger quadrats are great for keeping the students busy!