Methylated Spirits

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
CC
Job Title: Labbie
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn
State/Location: NSW

Methylated Spirits

Post by CC »

I was wondering if anyone has heard that we can only put 250ml of metho into a classroom. I have been told by a couple of teachers this is so but I can't find anything written. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be appreciated.
rp

Re: Methylated Spirits

Post by rp »

Hi
I was told that legally you are allowed 2 litres of flamable liquid outside the flammable store at any one time.
Regards Rhonda
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

From the CSIS page 19 1.3 Dangerous good legislation, Section 1 General information for all staff.

Figure 1.3-4 Quantities of class 3 flammable liquid that may be kept by Level B Schools under the DET group licence scheme.
Location: In a classroom. 5L in secure shelving. (Maximum storage per block/building is not to exceed 20L kept other than in an approved flammable liquids cabinet)
Manufactured products and combustible Liquids (C1, C2):
50L in secure shelving (Maximum storage per block/building is not to exceed 100L kept other than in an approved flammable
liquids Cabinet).

Location: In a laboratory block/building, visual arts block/building, technology block/building.
Flammable liquids: 100L maximum, plus 250L in an approved flammable liquids cabinet.
Manufactured products and combustible liquids (c1, C2):
200L maximum, plus 250L in an approved flammable liquids cabinet.

Note: This table represents the concessions made by Workcover in respect of those schools that require licensing under the Dangerous Goods Regulation 1978, but where the quantities to be kept are less than the Minor storage quantities described in Australian Standard AS 1940-1993. This concession has been granted for government schools under a formal agreement between the NSW Depart of Education and Training and Workcover NSW.

I do hope this helps,
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Every thing that goes into a class room must be labeled. Even if it is unknown, must have a coloured dot. In some out come tests, we have little dropper bottles marked with a green dot, and unknown. I can not find it at the moment, but I do believe you can only have 250ml of unknown in the class at any one time.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: