Cleaning cuvettes

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Nat_ACT
State/Location: ACT

Cleaning cuvettes

Post by Nat_ACT »

A teacher has made an oil and water mixture and filtered it into a glass cuvette. I can't get it clean!
I'd have thought that hot soapy water would work, but it hasn't done a thing and I'm wary of trying something else without advice in case I scratch it. I've never had to clean a cuvette - in my previous life they were disposable. Thanks for any advice
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS
State/Location: NSW

Re: Cleaning cuvettes

Post by RosalieL »

I don't recall having to clean cuvettes in the past, but my go-to (thanks to this forum) is napisan for glassware that won't come clean. Dissolve the napisan in warm water, then leave the glassware in it overnight (or weekend, as would be the case today). Hopefully a rinse in warm water and it will be clean on Monday! failing that, can you attach a little piece of microfibre cloth to the tip of the blunt end of a skewer and use that as a bottle brush type thing? good luck! Hopefully someone else has some real-life experience they could pass on!
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Post by bindibadgi »

With stubborn oily stuff I rub straight detergent on the area to coat it (works for cups/plates etc at home too), & leave it for an hour or so, then rinse really well with hot water.
Usually does the trick, but sometimes need to do a second treatment.
TGIF & Happy Weekend everyone! :yahoo:
bindibadgi
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS
State/Location: NSW

Post by RosalieL »

Nat_ACT wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 14:40 A teacher has made an oil and water mixture and filtered it into a glass cuvette. I can't get it clean!
I'd have thought that hot soapy water would work, but it hasn't done a thing and I'm wary of trying something else without advice in case I scratch it. I've never had to clean a cuvette - in my previous life they were disposable. Thanks for any advice
How did you go with the cleaning? I just noticed cuvettes are on sale at Modern Teaching Aids if that helps?

Product code: SER1016019
Nat_ACT
State/Location: ACT

Post by Nat_ACT »

I used straight detergent, a couple of times then rinsed well and wiped our with a piece of microfibre cloth. Cleaned well, corners were tricky. I'll try napisan next time, just didn't have any on hand, will try that next time!