Flame Test

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader
State/Location: NSW

Flame Test

Post by macca »

Hi Brains Trust

We normally do flame test with Yr9 +, question is I have a teacher wishing to do with Yr7.
Do you do with year 7s?
Do you do a simplified version if so what chemicals eg., Sodium Chloride.

I can't even see what topic she would be relating too, unless she is jumping ahead to states of matter!
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: Flame Test

Post by Merilyn1 »

Oh why?? Agree, not normally a prac that anyone would consider doing with Year 7. If the teacher insists, I'd be soaking paddle pop sticks in solution. Don't give them spray bottles 8O
Better still a demonstration or a Youtube video!
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Yeah, I'd be pointing out to the year 7 teacher that if they do it now, they won't want to do it in yr 9. Maybe a demonstration of two compounds to show there's a difference would be ok, but not the full "flame test" prac. Is she an approachable teacher? Can you find out what point she is wanting to make and suggest an alternative? Feel free to come back here for ideas!
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

We have done it as a forensic prac. Maybe for Yr 7 :- Elements? I think sometimes we have done it in yrs 7,8,9,10 and 11!!! I think we usually do it in yr 10. And then with spectroscopes etc as seniors. I usually go the toothpick dipped in water then salt then burnt. Demos might be best for yr 7 if it's a big group.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I have just had a look through several different Y7 textbooks that we have here and none of them mention flame tests. What Y7 textbook are you using? Even Y7 states of matter practicals don't cover flame tests. If push comes to shove then paddle pop sticks soaked in solutions. Keep the pretty flame test solutions for later year levels.
macca

Post by macca »

Lyn wrote: 05 May 2021, 10:54 I have just had a look through several different Y7 textbooks that we have here and none of them mention flame tests. What Y7 textbook are you using? Even Y7 states of matter practicals don't cover flame tests. If push comes to shove then paddle pop sticks soaked in solutions. Keep the pretty flame test solutions for later year levels.
No it's not in ours either and they are still doing "The Solar System" new young teacher, I have a meeting with her. Will let you know the outcome.
macca

Post by macca »

Thanks everyone,

Yeah wants to relate to solar system, but I've said no, she just wants to do a prac I think. So as a demo only, these kids are still having trouble lighting bunsens. They are never going to understand what, why or how to do the prac., but anyway. Teacher didn't want it referred to the HT so we have compromised with a demo.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

macca wrote: 05 May 2021, 12:43 Thanks everyone,

Yeah wants to relate to solar system, but I've said no, she just wants to do a prac I think. So as a demo only, these kids are still having trouble lighting bunsens. They are never going to understand what, why or how to do the prac., but anyway. Teacher didn't want it referred to the HT so we have compromised with a demo.
Good negotiating! She must know she doesn't really have a valid reason if she doesn't want the HT involved! I'm struggling to relate flame tests to the solar system though... different star colours? That's to do with heat not chemical composition though, isn't it? Anyway, good outcome if both the teacher and labbie are happy!
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

What's the list of chemicals you send out for flame tests?
labbassistant
School: Wollongong High School

Post by labbassistant »

All 1M
- Barium Chloride
- Calcium Chloride
- Copper Sulfate
- Lithium Carbonate
- Potassium Chloride
- Sodium Chloride
- Strontium Chloride

We have been asked for the powders but most of the time we give the solutions
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

same as above for us.
labbassistant

Post by labbassistant »

Hi all,
I was looking for info on flame tests and saw my above post which I said we use strontium chloride which is incorrect. We use strontium carbonate.
But my question is does anyone use strontium chloride? We have lots and have run out of strontium carbonate. Does it show the same colour?
Anastasia

Post by Anastasia »

The flame colour depends on the metal cation so strontium carbonate and strontium chloride should give the same result. We use strontium chloride and it works well.
labbassistant

Post by labbassistant »

Great, thanks so much!
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

We do flame test (paddle pop method) for the Yr 7 orientation. They have a bunch of older students in the class with them. They do 4 mystery chemicals which they have to work out what they are. We find it a great but simple prac to get them excited about doing science the next year.