Deliquessence

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale
State/Location: NSW

Deliquessence

Post by ELIZABETH »

Hi All. I have a problem with some Magnesium chloride whic has "deliquessed".

Is ther any way to reclaim it or has it had it?
Elizabeth
Robb

Deliquesced Magnesium Chloride

Post by Robb »

Hi Elizabeth,

The problem with magnesium Chloride is that if the packaging material does not have a complete air tight seal then absorbtion will occur from the moisture in air. Hence the deliquesced slurry you have.

There could be a way to recover it, and that is to place this into a Lab Oven at 75 Degrees (That's Right 75 Degrees), as you dont' want to burn the Magnesium Chloride. (make sure you spread the MgCl2 thinly over a large area.

If this not possible then evap it with a Bunsen Over a working flame considering you do this very slowly, again not allowing it to burn. This will then dehydrate it.

I would keep this in the container and label this as TECH grade. (As moisture in the air carries impurities).

Personally this is a lot of work, and if I did not have a Lab oven, and I would use this slurry to prepare a general solution for precipitation.

I hope this has helped,

Robb.............
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
JudyM

Deliquescence

Post by JudyM »

Hey Liz,
You could try using the little plastic containers that hold silica gel that come in vitamin bottles etc. I tape them to the inside lid of the bottle with the opening facing up. I periodically dry them in the incubator & then just retape them. I find it helps to keep most chemicals dry. ;-)
Robb

Deliquesced Magnesium Chloride

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

The method which JudyM has given is a great one, although if there is too much moisture present then this would slow the drying process considerably and may even be feasible.

If there is a means of quickly drying the Magnesium Chloride then place this in a desiccator or a dry container as per method outlined by JudyM.

Otherwise you may be fighting a losing battle..

I would certainly try this though when the substance is first dried.

I hope this has helped.

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **