Copyright on Chemwatch MSDS

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo
State/Location: NSW

Copyright on Chemwatch MSDS

Post by rae »

Hi All,

I have just begun the onerous task of printing current MSDS from Chemwatch.
I noticed on the back they have a copyright clause. Are we breeching copyright by printing all the MSDS from Chemwatch??

Thanks for the input. I have learned so much from this site and all the knowledge out there is fantastic!!

lORRAE
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: Copyright on Chemwatch MSDS

Post by Slartibartfast »

If your school has access to Chemwatch online or through the CD package you are entitled to print all needed MSDS. You are not entitled to produce a booklet of MSDS or other Chemwatch proformas and forward it on to others for free or for profit. Copyright in general entitles you to copy up to 10% or 1 chapter (whichever is the greater) for educational purposes but this does not apply for your use of Chemwatch. Copyright is something we in Science need to be aware of as many of use are requested to undertake it for staff members reguarly. Be blunt with them if they ask you to copy more than the allowable amount stated above. There is currently a case in the courts at the moment of a a SAS staff member being sued by St. Johns Ambulance on the south coast of NSW for copying the entire 1st aid manual. It's a serious offence (up to $50,000 fine) and she is not being supported by her employer as she was expected to know. Most do not. Go to http://www.copyright.org.au for more info.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I have done 15 or so of one chemical for year 11 chemistry class, from what I understand, this is educational so ok??
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

Thats fine. It's being used to educate in it's correct school location.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Thanks for the advice.
I must say I'm very relieved. Our staff meeting last wek was about the new copyright legislation and I started to worry about printing the MSDS. Damn now I'll have to finish them!!

Lorrae