Electric pressure cooker

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Happy Labby
State/Location: NSW

Electric pressure cooker

Post by Happy Labby »

Hi Everyone I am new to this forum and new to labby world its such a great forum and there is a lot of us I have a question I was wondering if anyone can suggest a brand of electric pressure cooker with and internal gauge for my agar plates Tahnks
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: Electric pressure cooker

Post by Merilyn1 »

I have an All American autoclave that was purchased from Haines. It wasn't cheap, they are now listed at $990 but it works really well. The model I have sits on a separate hot plate - I use the single hot plates you can pick up for about $60. There are plug in units that have their own heating element but they are much dearer. I know lots of other labbies use pressure cookers but I've seen discussions on chemtalk that they don't do the job properly. Good to get feedback from what other people are using.
Happy Labby

Post by Happy Labby »

Thanks for the information I will have a look :D :D
Wayne
School: Mount Carmel College
Suburb: Sandy Bay
State/Location: TAS

Post by Wayne »

Like Merilyn I bought the All American autoclave (essentially a pressure cooker) but bought the 24L which is listed at $1150 at Haines. I bought mine from Southern Biological as they were cheaper. Just looked and their prices are currently $945 and $1120. So pays to shop around.

I haven't had any problems with it apart from last week when I didn't lubricate one small part of the lid and it became stuck (had to force it open with a screwdriver, as per instructions in the manual), but that was my fault.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

That's interesting to know, Wayne. I'll be looking to buy a new one next year at my new job. As for the screwdriver - I always have to use one to lever the lid open, but I'll blame two rear-ender car accidents in five years for the state of my neck and subsequent weakling arms!
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I'd never had a problem of the lid sticking before and it was only one little section that was stuck. I have to admit I did panic a little, wondering how I was going to open it and worried I might damage it while doing it. Thankfully common sense prevailed and I dug out the manual and read how to solve the problem.
I did see that Southern Biological also sell spare parts.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Just checked and Westlab is even cheaper! Theirs are $839.50 (15L) and $975.50 (24L), but might want to check that they are All American doesn't specifically say they are but have the same specifications and appear to look like they are All American.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Bargain Hunter Wayne! I'll definitely keep it in mind. I'll be moving into a new prep room and two new science labs, so will have a bit of "shopping" to do. Might be able to get one even cheaper if I'm ordering a lot of other things.
And the screwdriver, again. I did the Cert III TAFE course and they always had to open their's with a screwdriver. I'm glad I knew this, because I would have panicked too with a stuck lid.