storage for suphur and calcium oxide

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
lfn
State/Location: NSW

storage for suphur and calcium oxide

Post by lfn »

Hi my friends,

I'm a bit confused for storage of Suphur and calcium oxide. As Sulphur powder is flammable, oxidizing and reducing agent where am I supposed to keep them? with oxidizing chemicals or flammable ?
Also as calcium oxide is corrosive but incompatible with boric acid ,can I keep that in corrosive section with boric acid ?

Thanks
lfn
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: storage for suphur and calcium oxide

Post by Labbie »

Taken from the CSIS " Page 71, Calium Oxide (Quicklime (Lime) Is NON Reaction) Calcium oxide can only be used by 11-12y Toxic if ingested or by skin contact, etc etc.

Also taken from CSIS page 241 Sulfur powder, Flowers and Solid class is 4.1 safe to use with 7-12y Harmless if ingested,, Power ignites readily, forming highly toxic sulphur dioxide gas. It is NOT stored under flammable, so Keep it with the other 4.1 class Spontanous Combustable, "

I can understand that with a flammables diamond on there you would be thinking to store it in flammables. But go by your bible which is your CSIS Chemicals safety in Schools, are you a DoE school or private? If you are private it is up to your Head teachers wish I believe.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
lfn

Post by lfn »

Hi Labbie,
Thanks for your help . I'm in private school. Can I ask you how many sections do you have in your chemical storage ? I've got 2 separate cabinets for flammable and Acid and also one shelf for oxidizing agent and one for corrosive, non-corrosive chemicals. As the previous lab tech put sulphur and toxic chemicals together in the plastic container I just wanted to know if it is right?
Thanks
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

There was 9 class's 1= Explosive 2= Flammable GAS 3= Flammables 4 - 4.5 is Flammable solid or when wet etc. 5.1- 5.2 is Oxidizing 6= Toxic & Infectious substances 7=Radioactive 8= Corresive 9= Misc dangerous goods . As a general school you would only have class 3 to class 9 , in the chem store each class should be separated by a block of glass so they can not react with each other. so store your new beakers etc any thing glass inbetween the different classes, The Non reactive class is the biggest, it has no number sorry. Put your conc acids on the floor, not on shelves incase of leakage. Place on a glass slab, on the floor bottle on top of glass slab. Enjoy
Regards Labbie

lfn

Post by lfn »

Thanks for your help Labbie .Now I understand what's right. But we've got a really small chemical storage and it is really hard to do the right procedure #-o
Thanks Labbie
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

You are welcome LFN you are most welcome to PM me any time if I can help.
Regards Labbie

lfn

Post by lfn »

Many Thanks Labbie :-)