A general discussion and Q & A forum.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Re: Brain disection- help please

Post by mtg »

ok, if I get fresh (next term tho') I'll soak them first and then freeze one and keep one in the fridge and I'll report on it. The local butchers break down the beasts themselves I believe. And thus I get dog bones and pet mince fresh. We are in the middle of beef farms and a free range piggery supplies the butcher also.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader
State/Location: NSW

Post by macca »

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question; frozen brains I got from the supermarket I need for first period Monday morning. I was thinking of putting in metho last period Friday, any ideas what % metho/water mix or straight metho and if over the weekend is to long? :coffee:

Thanks
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

I use straight metho and have had them soaking for well over a week with no adverse problems. I give them a rinse under water before handing them out to get rid of some of the metho smell.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Thanks, I'll give them a go and see what happens :coffee:
mtg

Post by mtg »

I soaked frozen brains in metho from first thing in the morning, turning them every so often to ensure complete immersion, and then last thing before I went home I drained them and put them in fresh metho. Then the following day, when they looked good I drained them, dried them on paper towel and froze them. Prior to refreezing they were great, firm and only smelling of metho, the ones I froze (last term) are still perfect. And....as I am a labbie this is cause for much excitement!!!!!!!
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I have found putting them in metho works really well... except now we are told that we cannot put anything flammable into a fridge - so.... brains need to be in fridge but what do I do with brains in metho??????
mtg

Post by mtg »

I soak them for at least 24 hours in the fume hood, turning them at least once, they stay there until dissection, they are then well drained and mostly dry. The waste is then frozen til disposal- the "brain juice/metho" is kept in a windchester in the flammable cupboard for collection. If the brains have been frozen, soak them frozen and as they thaw I drain the liquid and put more metho over them. They keep for ages, ( well drained and dried, just put them in the fridge in a plastic container, on some paper towel, with the lid on).
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Thank you mtg -