A general discussion and Q & A forum.
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

RECALL PORTABLE GAS COOKERS

Post by sunray18 »

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/A ... utane.page
Public warning on portable butane ‘lunchbox’ cookers
4 March 2015
NSW Fair Trading Commissioner Rod Stowe is warning consumers not to buy portable butane ‘lunchbox’ type cookers due to safety issues, including overheating.
“We recommend consumers do not buy portable cookers of this type,” Mr Stowe said.
“Compliance certification for all current models of ‘lunchbox’ type gas cookers has been suspended by the independent safety certifiers and cookers of this type can no longer be sold lawfully in NSW.
“Up to 31 models of butane gas cookers have been withdrawn from sale as they do not meet Australian Standards. Retailers in NSW should no longer be stocking or selling these products.
“Testing, undertaken at the request of NSW Fair Trading and other State gas regulators, has found a fault with the cookers’ shut-off valves, posing a risk that the devices may overheat and could explode.
“These cookers are lightweight and portable and are popular for use in camping and caravanning. They are inexpensive and commonly sell for between $15 and $30.”
Mr Stowe said consumers who have purchased cookers should refrain from using them.
“If these products malfunction they can potentially cause serious injuries and I’d encourage people to stop using them,” he said.
“The cookers should be disposed of in a safe manner, with the butane cylinders disposed of through an appropriate community waste or recycling centre.
“Consumers who have purchased a non-compliant gas cooker and have proof of the purchase should return the product to their retailer and seek a refund of the full purchase price as soon as possible.
“Fair Trading is continuing to work with retailers, manufacturers and other states to ensure products are removed from shelves.
“I’d encourage consumers to notify NSW Fair Trading if they see any devices of this type being sold within stores or by NSW retailers.”
For consumer safety information and advice visit the NSW Fair Trading website or phone the Call Centre on 13 32 20.
Media contact: 02 9372 7829
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Re: RECALL PORTABLE GAS COOKERS

Post by smiley »

Now what will I do in a cyclone?? They are still a standard part of everybody's cyclone kit!
Cheers, K 8-)
monso

Post by monso »

“We recommend consumers do not buy portable cookers of this type,” Mr Stove :w00t: said.
Was that mr stove saying that?
agregory
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Townsville

Post by agregory »

Who is using the portable bunsen burners with butane canisters (labgaz / coleman)? They are now not recommended for use in schools.

Other than traditional bunsens or hotplates are there any alternatives?
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I was using them in rooms that did not have gas connected.. I have now had to buy the portable bunsen burners as you have agregory - and they work well, then I had to buy the taller tripods to go over them!
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Although I wouldn't think these types of stoves are ideal for students and schools, you can now buy updated models of these types of stoves that pass safety requirements if anyone is interested for their own use. I just bought a Primus one for camping - works brilliantly.
agregory

Post by agregory »

We had tripod risers built. A piece of ply with a hole cut in the middle for the bunsen to sit in, with two blocks of ply either side underneath to lift it a bit. The tripod sits on that so no new tripods needed.
The Aus Gas Assoc and Qld Gas Directorate have advised (via ScienceASSIST ASTA) that the portable bunsens are not recommended for use indoors or in schools. Trying to find an alternative to paykng $10000+ per lab to have gas installed.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Just be aware portable Bunsen burners have been banned in Queensland schools. I was doing some research because we need some solution for bunsens at a portable bench in a lab with no gas.
http://assist.asta.edu.au/print/3059
agregory

Post by agregory »

Yes, that is why I am doing some research to see if there is an alternative. I posted that the question on Assist. We have 6 labs and only one with piped gas. The rest use portables, but we can't just stop using them because we wouldn't be able to do anything!