Where to buy liquid nitregon

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Rakhi Karumathil
Job Title: Science Laboratory Technician
State/Location: NSW

Where to buy liquid nitregon

Post by Rakhi Karumathil »

Hi everyone,

Could someone please let me know from where i can buy liquid nitrogen to make liquid nitrogen ice-cream.

My department head is visiting a primary school to demo this exp.

Please help me :-(

Cheers :D
Rakhi
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Re: Where to buy liquid nitregon

Post by bigmack »

I get ours from the local Vet . Not sure about Ice-cream making and how much you need but I get about a liter and it costs $20 . The physics teacher uses it for superconductor experiment .......then its dibs by the other teachers ...frozen leaves ...frozen tennis balls .......classroom disco :whistle:

Physics teacher got me a thermos flask to pick it up in ....have to have the top open so it vents .

Conflicting info about transporting it though . Was told Labbies not allowed to transport chemicals yet Liquid nitrogen isn't a hazardous Chemical regards transport .
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

bigmack wrote: ....have to have the top open so it vents ..
To clarify .....the thermos flask has a screw on lid but it has a pressure relief vent. Was told to always have the vent open so it does not build up pressure and explode as the Nitrogen slowly warms inside .

You want to get it just before its needed as you basically loose about 100mls - 200mls per hour as it evaporates from the Thermos flask
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Ace Cryogenics at Castle Hill will deliver. Minimum is $50 which will give you up to 10L. They will only deliver into a dewar flask. You can hire the flask for $50, or if you have your own regardless of size it will still be $50 up to 10L eg we have a 1L flask, it will still cost $50. I haven't yet ordered it myself, but made enquiries last year.
I would not recommend transporting the flask in your car. The flask does not seal properly, meaning if it falls over it will leak. If you have an accident, it could get very nasty with that spilling around your car. Basically, my risk assessment would say "no".
Rakhi Karumathil
Job Title: Science Laboratory Technician

Post by Rakhi Karumathil »

Hi Merilyn,

Do they deliver it to the school ?

Cheers
Rakhi
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

I'm at Narellan (near Camden) and have a friend at a school nearby. He has been ordering it from them for a few years and had only just received some last year when I was chasing it up.
Rita

Post by Rita »

I am in Nowra and I use Premier Genetics and Livestock Solutions ph 44227247. Another local school uses them also.
It is delivered in a Dewar. The company have a supply run that goes up and down the coast (mainly rural areas), and a run up to the southern highlands.
Ice-creammade with liquid nitrogen is DELICIOUS .
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hi Rita, How much do they charge?? I rang a supplier yesterday and it was a minimum $60 for 10litres. Obviously we don't need 10 litres but still have to pay the 60. I was trying to find someone other than the local Doctors. I'm in Bowral.
Rita

Post by Rita »

Ten litres minimum purchase about $110.00 incl. GST now. Your price sounds better than ours. Where was your quote from?

We use ten litres...... senior physics pracs and leftovers go to junior classes demonstrations.

Rita
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

My quote was from Mr Freeze Cryogenics 04180117445. I think he may be in Camden or Campbelltown
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

We get ours from the local BOC. They have 2 size containers.