Website - Risk Assess

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
ritacrem
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Carroll College
Suburb: Broulee
State/Location: NSW

Website - Risk Assess

Post by ritacrem »

Welcome back everyone :D
I was wondering if anyone has or are using the website Risk Assess to order and fill and complete experiments.
My HOD is interested in using it. I am a novice as science assistant and wanted to know if it gives enough detail for me to get experiments ready for the staff if that makes sense. Any info thoughts would be great.
Thanks heaps
Rita :crazy:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: Website - Risk Assess

Post by Merilyn1 »

We use it here and I find really good if it is used properly by the teachers. It's great for seeing what has been ordered as there is a scheduling page which lists all the pracs for each day.

The problem you can have is there is a section at the top where the teacher has to list all the equipment and materials they require. They should also show the quantities they need. Further down the document is a section which contains the risk assessment for the prac. I had some teachers who thought by listing it in the risk assessment section, that was good enough. This doesn't show the exact molarity of the chemical, nor the quantity/volume required. So they do need to specify these things at the top. Once you set them straight, it all works well.

I also use Riskassess for doing my own RAs for chemical solutions, making agar etc. Really easy to do. We have also recently signed up to the student version, a bit of a luxury, and I am still trying to get the teachers to get the students to use it properly.

The other benefit is that Phillip is hoping to get a labelling feature up and running in the near future. I'm really looking forward to that!
You can sign up for a free trial. It would be worthwhile doing that so you can put it to its test. They are really helpful, too, if you have any questions.
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

We started using Risk Assess for the first time last year, I too am a novice, but I find it really easy to use. As Merilyn said so long as the teachers fill it out correctly!!
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

We have been using Risk Assess here for a couple of years and it works brilliantly! Definitely sign up for the free trial and see how it works for you.
aude
Suburb: Maitland

Post by aude »

We have been using Risk Assess for over a year and with the support of my HOD it works well.
In our school all Science pracs must go through Risk Assess. It gives you a clear schedule for preparation and teachers can clearly see what everyone else is doing and remodify to suit themselves if need be.
All Risk Assessments are stored for future information or use and you can get email alerts when new ones are placed and it's all paperless!
:clap3: Worth the $$$
MissKat
Job Title: Science Technician
School: Cranbrook School
Suburb: Bellevue Hill

Post by MissKat »

Highly recommend Risk Assess. We have used it for more than 3 years (before I started) and it's great as it logs all pracs online.

I have reminded the teachers to add quantities and concentrations to their order.

Apparently, they have moved to the GHS which is good but freaked out the teachers when they went to use it yesterday but it's easy to learn.

Another good thing is that it's time stamped so there's no argument on who ordered something first etc.
ritacrem

Post by ritacrem »

Thank you to everyone for your responses. It has really helped to help us go ahead with the trial....now it is up to the HOD and the staff to see if they like it and will use it ! :cheesy:
Milo
State/Location: ACT

Post by Milo »

Merilyn nailed it. RiskAssess has revolutionised our prac ordering and RA procedures. So much easier now for everyone. Really looking forward to the labelling too.
ritacrem

Post by ritacrem »

Thanks again everyone for the info.
The department has been giving the site a go and most seem happy - although paperless it isn't yet !

One quick question if any of you have time to respond.... 8-[

I job share (2days per week) with another lay who had done the job for years and years. I don't have any formal training in lab work/technician (only what I remember from High School Chemistry and Physics which is too long ago for me to mention :wink2: ). So what code would you use on Risk Assess for me as the lab technician - I have been saying a 5 but the HOD thinks I could possibly go higher up. But I have had no PD at all only picking things up as I go. The other lab tech is not in when I am in. Thoughts ???? :unsure:

And if I do need more training does anyone know of any courses (preferably on line) that I could do ? :thumbup:
Thanks again Rita :crazy:
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

You can look at the chemical user code explanation of codes and that will give you an idea of where you fit and also what you feel comfortable with. As it is a legal document I would seriously consider the implications of taking on a user code that you aren't comfortable with.
ritacrem

Post by ritacrem »

Thanks Rae :thumbup:
That was my thinking exactly - its all good until something goes wrong...and I haven't been made aware of the changes to the WHS etc and rather not get caught out. :oops:
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I would not be agreeing to go higher than you think your skills are - I would probably put you at 2 or maybe 3. This means that they can't expect you to have the knowledge of a senior teacher or a chemist, also that you shouldn't be handling concentrated acids or bases or any chemicals that are not at your user level. Have a look at CSIS also because that gives the user level for chemicals.
ritacrem

Post by ritacrem »

Thanks heaps sunray18....I feel the same way. I job share with a lady who has done the job for years and has the appropriate qualifications. So it is up to the teachers now to decide who prepares their stuff ! But I am not comfortable signing a legal document even if I have been doing some of the stuff before now. Hope everyone has a great weekend.