finding 2M sulfuric acid on Chemwatch

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Adrianna
State/Location: NSW

finding 2M sulfuric acid on Chemwatch

Post by Adrianna »

Hello All
I can not find 2M sulfuric acid in Chemwatch for a label. There are about 40 pages. In the list is 0.1M lactic acid 2M acetic acid formic acid - I gave up about page 7. I have tried every conceivable way of entering the name such as 2M sulfuric acid, sulfuric acid 2M, SULFURIC ACID etc. The help via Chat line was not very helpful either.
Any secrets?
sunray18

Re: finding 2M sulfuric acid on Chemwatch

Post by sunray18 »

I found it a while ago..
I often use the word 'solution' when I need dilutions.. I also sometimes 'WIN' by searching for eg 'sulfuric acid', and it comes up with all the dilutions possible, or 'sulfuric acid solutions'
I too have faced pages and pages of chemicals when I have put VERY clearly and concisely the EXACT chemical in the search bar..we ALL have experienced this, yet CW takes no notice .
I have even tried 'other names', eg muriatic acid solution... Good thing I like cryptic crosswords!
I tried to explain this to my HOD - he saw Chemwatch demonstrated for 30 minutes at an In-service and NOW is the expert, and cannot understand what takes me so long...
He came in the other day while I was yelling at my monitor "how hard can it be?" and looked at me like I was crazy.
well maybe he had a point - Chemwatch drives me crazy

This is from the top of the document - may give you clues as to how to find it..
sulfuric acid 2M solution
Chemwatch: 4842-56
Version No: 2.1.1.1
Safety Data Sheet according to WHS and ADG requirements
Issue Date: 01/01/2013
Print Date: 21/07/2015
Initial Date: Not Available
L.GHS.AUS.EN
superbug

Post by superbug »

Not sure what is going on but I had no issues in finding it. I typed in sulfuric acid 2 and waited till it came up in the drop down box. I then selected the one with writing beside it in the drop down box.( as I believe that means it is there).
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Yes, I'm another frustrated Chemwatch user! This week I couldn't find 1M HCl! Their on-line chat wasn't running so I sent a message, still haven't had a reply four days later. Unlike an email which you have a copy of, I have no copy of the message I sent so cannot chase it up without explaining myself again.

We really need something else. As I've mentioned before, I've found inconsistencies on their label hazard warning amongst different listings. We all should be looking at getting our labelling sorted out with GHS compliant labels, but I'm reluctant to until I'm sure the label I'm putting on is correct. :banghead2:
littltesttube

Post by littltesttube »

Could it be the search engine you are using. I have the same problem at work but not usually at home. I use Firefox or Chrome at home on a Mac. At work I use Firefox but on a PC. Sometimes I wonder if it is the security settings on the school system that causes the site to be challenging to use. I have been having problems printing at school also and IT say it is the site, but I don't have problems when due to frustration I print from home!
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

I find it really spasmodic - sometimes you find things easily and a few hours later it's gone. I use Safari on a Mac, I never use it at home on my PC (they don't pay me enough to take work home!).
littltesttube

Post by littltesttube »

Yeah I agree Merilyn about pay! Chemwatch is definitely spasmodic!!
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

When you've got pages of inappropriate chemicals try clicking on the column header 'relevance' a couple of times.
I have found it then sorts according to the closest match to your search.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Found it under Sulfuric acid 2m solution. When the list of chemical comes up and you can't find what you are after try clicking on the relevance button on the right hand side of the screen above where the lists start. It helps!!
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

So why then does Chemwatch default to "irrelevant"? :crazy: :crazy: :redcard:
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

J wrote:So why then does Chemwatch default to "irrelevant"? :crazy: :crazy: :redcard:
Thanks J. You made me laugh - I needed that today!
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Yes J its stupid!!! Now I've discovered this setting though it has made life a little easier!
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Thank you for this little item of information. I'll have to try it next time I'm fighting with Chemwatch!!
Adrianna

Post by Adrianna »

thank you to all of you
after I vented my frustration on Chemtalk up it came - just like that on Chemwatch. Yes the Chat line help said that Firefox was better than Chrome which I use on the Mac because Chrome seems to cut off the quick drop down box on the LHS. But yes it is very time consuming.