kase
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Berri Regional Secondary College
Suburb: Berri
State/Location: SA

Geiger counters vs magic source

Post by kase »

Hi All,
I'm still looking at geiger counters and just wandered how many of you have/use them? Has anyone used the "magic source"? Is it any good? Is it a good alternative to the geiger counter and having radioactive source in the lab?

Cheers Kase
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah
State/Location: NSW

Re: Geiger counters vs magic source

Post by estelle »

We are in the process of getting another geiger counter and radioactive sources as well. Although , I might take ours to another school and check ours against theirs because either the counter isn't working or the radioactive sources are stuffed.

What is a "magic source"??
I thought that was just another name for "lab assistant"

Estelle
kase
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Berri Regional Secondary College
Suburb: Berri
State/Location: SA

Post by kase »

In a lot of the catalogues (either with the geiger counters or under 'radioactivity') they have an IEC "magic" source listed and it states that it safely simulates the principles of radioactivity. It's an instument that looks very much like the IEC geiger counter.

Cheers
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Estelle, yes that would be a good idea because the sources do 'run out' eventually. Could be that they just have no particles escaping anymore.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Sorry - forgot to answer your question Kase! We use ours only a couple of times a year. I'm not sure about the 'magic source' but my personal view is that so much of science is becoming 'virtual' that kids have no idea about reality, so stick to what is real when you can! A teacher and I were talking about this (technology taking over and being more 'real' to kids)the other day, with kids watching a bean grow in a test tube. The don't seem interested at all, but we were saying if it was a virtual bean on a computer that they had to 'click to water' each day for homework they would probably be right into it! Hopefully once it starts growing there will be some fascination...
bindi

Post by bindi »

We have an old Geiger counter which was only picking up very slight readings,I too thought my sources were expiring but when I had a good look at the microphone the wiring was very loose. I resolider the wiring and it is now reading very well! :clap3:
I impressed myself!
sampjm
School: Mount Annan Christian College
Suburb: Mount Annan

Post by sampjm »

Is anyone using the Magic source in place of radioactive sources and geiger counter
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

We are.
The HT thinks that it gives the class enough of an idea of what is going on, and is safer. She doesn't tell them that it's pretend.
And it's actually been a long time since anyone has used it.