Inaccurate Thermometers

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Inaccurate Thermometers

Post by Merilyn1 »

One of our teachers has been complaining about the inaccuracies of our thermometers. He says they are reading 104 deg C when the water is boiling. I have put one in a few samples of different temperatures (without going to the trouble of boiling the water over a bunsen) along with the temperature probe connected to a data logger. So far, I have found a discrepancy of about 2 deg between the thermometer and the probe - the thermometer reading higher.

I have checked them before and removed any where the alcohol had "split".

Any thoughts/opinions on this? The thermometers were only cheap - about $3 each, are we expecting too much? None of the other teachers have complained, maybe they are just used to it?

Thanks everyone
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Inaccurate Thermometers

Post by Labbie »

How do you store your Spirit Thermometers, laying down in a draw?????????????? or Vertical in a jar????????????????

Spirit Thermometers should be stored Vertical (Upright) Not laying down like the old Mercury had to be stored. That does couse the split to happen.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Thanks, Sue. I actually read one of your old posts about storage of thermometers and am now thinking of an alternative storage place for them. However, the problem I'm having is with most of the thermometers, including the ones I have just received from the supplier, the spirit in all the problem ones is intact. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced similar problems or if anyone had bought more reliable thermometers.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

We do buy ours from westlab, they seem to be fine, I have never had a teacher tell me the are Not accurate, but then again I have not tested them.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

I thought I'd try some from Westlab. Thanks for letting me know that they were okay (as far as you know)

Have a good weekend.
M.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Yes - the ones I have bought from another supplier are all inaccurate - they were cheaper ones..