Decomposition

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader
State/Location: NSW

Decomposition

Post by macca »

Any ideas please,

OK I've been using side-arm test tubes/stopper and rubber hose for some time with the decomposition of carbonates. Teacher would like to go back to bent glass/holes in stoppers and tubing has anyone seen out there in the big wide science world anything pre-made. Or any other cool ideas would be great.

Thanks in advance. :clap3:
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Re: Decomposition

Post by rae »

Sorry I make my own which I have collected over a number of years!
Adrianna

Post by Adrianna »

Hi Macca
we use the large boiling tubes. A rubber delivery tube (rubber stopper with hole through which is a short glass tube. The glass tube is fitted with a rubber tube about 35 cm long).The bent glass tubes get broken too easily and the larger boiling tube allows for a bigger volume of CO2.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Can't see that there's much difference between a side-arm test tube, and one with bent glass in the top, except, as Adrianna says, lack of durability in the bent glass bizzos.
Cheers, K 8-)
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

We found the actually quality of the glass in the side arm test tubes was not as good and with the intense heating needed for decomposition they were basically disposable one use only. Normal test tubes seem more durable. I have to throw out the occasional one bot not nearly as often.