RIP Robin Williams

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

RIP Robin Williams

Post by Labbie »

That is such a shame Robin Williams the actor, or Mrs Doubtfire, too young really.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
lada

Re: RIP Robin Williams

Post by lada »

Very sorry to hear it.
I loved his work
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

That is so sad I still remember him from Mork and Mindy come in Mindy.

:sad:
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Nanoo nanoo!!
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

So SAD!!
Carpe Diem
Loved dead poet society
That dreaded black dog has a lot to answer for!!
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

He is one of my favourite actors..sorry "WAS".. someone so 'real'.. at least now I hope he has found peace.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

My son recently watched Dead Poets Society at school and absolutely loved it, unfortunately most of his friends hated it, so he was really shocked to hear that Robin Williams had passed away. Yes, Rae, the black dog is atrocious and this shows that even money, talent and adoration from millions of fans does not make you immune. Maybe Williams' death will provoke conversation about depression which will help others who suffer from it.
lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Robin has left an amazing body of work, much of which has changed the way we think... I agree, Merilyn, that if losing such a special soul helps us to understand depression and death a little better, it would be an awesome and far-reaching legacy.

Watching the TV footage got me thinking along these lines also. I have been undergoing investigation for a neurological condition for some time now, but waited for a diagnosis before disclosing the situation, so as not to sound like a whinger. After having had an adverse reaction to a Parkinsons drug trial earlier this year I started telling those close to me. The result was that many of these people have not contacted me since. The footage re Robin's depression helped me realise that's possibly how these friends interpreted what I was trying to relate, as much of the terminology is similar. Made me realise how how easily we rush to support those with cancer (thank goodness), but are still frightened by things like depression.....

My (all adult) kids have posted comments about how Robin's films being the soundtrack of their lives. So true. It's a great loss.

Blessings & hugs to all :)
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
DawnR
State/Location: VIC

Post by DawnR »

I didn't even think of neurological conditions as being something you don't talk about! I had/have one too, not depression but I needed brain surgery to get the infected part out as I had bacterial meningitis, and as far as I'm concerned it's just another form of surgery, there shouldn't be a stigma attached to it. Maybe some people are like that to me too but I don't care, life's too short and precious to worry about them. Keep your chin up Lizzieb, you've got NOTHING to be ashamed about.
lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Bless you, Dawn - I do hope you are going along well now.

I don't feel any shame, but that's a good example of how easily words can be misinterpreted.

While it isn't an issue for me currently, depression can be part of the Parkinsons journey, and there are similarities between some of the symptoms. It has also been part of my family journey too, and to bring this back to Robin Williams, I have great compassion for him and for those he leaves behind. The point being that depression is a reasonably common ailment in our modern society, but one we still struggle to discuss openly because of that stigma attached.

My philosophy over the past few years has been about acceptance and/or letting go - ie. to work on one aspect or flip the coin and look at it from another perspective. The spin-off has been much contentment and joy. Corny perhaps, but a very peaceful stage to reach :thumbup:

Hugs,
Liz

J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

These struggles should not drive people away, Liz. :redcard: They are part of what makes you the wonderful person that you are. :wub:
J
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Liz, I think you may have started us all thinking, their is more to life then smiles. You have aways inspired me Liz, so you just keep up that wonderful work, and the person that you are, we have only met about 2 or 3 times. But your strong love comes though.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Thanks for your support for my health journey.

My thoughts go out to all those who are struggling to cope with whatever personal loads they carry. How many times have I not known how to respond, or jumped to my own conclusions, or exhibited 'foot in mouth' disease, often through ignorance.

If Robin's death begins to precipitate widespread acceptance of depression, it would be his greatest legacy. Often all it takes is trying to see things from another's point of view: 'walk a mile in someone else's shoes'...

I have been reflecting about Robin's close friend, Christopher Reeve, and how his experiences did so much to change society's attitude to paraplegia and 'disability' in general. It's nice to think of them, both unique super heroes, together again.

I haven't been on this forum much in the last couple of years, but have caught up when time & energy permits. Presently wading back through the last 6 months of posts :crazy: :coffee:

We are so lucky to have this invaluable resource - having this level of support has completely changed the job for the better. In it's own way, it has allowed us an opportunity to open our thinking and accept different ways and new possibilities.

You guys are awesome \:D/
Liz