dissections

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
lada
State/Location: NSW

dissections

Post by lada »

Our biology teacher would like to dissect each of the following
mammal,bird,fish,reptile and amphibian. I can get a toad, a rat and a fish, but cannot find a bird or crocodile.Must still have all the guts inside. Any ideas???
Lada
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: dissections

Post by Labbie »

perhaps you could try WIRES. They have help't us out before. With a bird or two, to preserve. You can only ask them.

wires 8977 3333

Hope this helps you.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Lada,

I think it's time your biology teacher had a reality check. Crocodiles are a protected species and unless someone provides a snake from roadkill, (probably also inadvisable) the three specimens you spoke of should be sufficient.

P.S. A chook carcass is a bird specimen.

Lyn
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Haines supplies an excellent fake frog dissection for the squeamish. It has a huge plastic frog. When you take the skin off, the organs underneath are in gooey plastic so they feel real, but without the smell! =D>

What about a croc skin farm for a baby croc? Sometimes youngsters in the pens can die in the pecking order struggles - I'm talking 30cm sized babies. I guess there's none near you in NSW, but what about pet shops, breeders, Universities for other types of reptiles. By the way, generally speaking, dissected reptiles REEK! :yuck:

Lada, we have stuffed and mounted crocs in our labs from the local tourist trade, but admittedly we don't dissect them! They're just there for classification pracs.

Cheers, K 8-)
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

What about the Australian Reptile Park at Somersby, or the zoo? :oops:
Lisa