Insurance travelling while shopping for school

for anything else that doesn't fit.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Re: Insurance travelling while shopping for school

Post by Labbie »

I do believe you can go out during your TIME, after sign out then signing in again.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I again contacted the IEU about this - and we are NOT covered to and from work or after hours.
Car insurance is void if are under Private, not Business. The same applies to teachers.
If you must go shopping , do it in your school hours only - sign out from the school, even early in the morning if you can, and ONLY buy the items for the school. Do Not combine your own shopping with the school shopping, even outside school hours.
So far, until a test case occurs and it goes to court there is no finite ruling on this - and frankly I do NOT want to be the person who provides the situation for the test case!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

delivery service :thumbup: only way to go
Cheers Jazz
mazcheck

Post by mazcheck »

I work in a small rural high school (just under 200 students atm) and we don't have access to delivery services. I look after both the science and food tech departments and do the shopping for both during school hours using my own vehicle (there is no school car) and I get reimbursed for mileage. I also have an unpaid lunch break so I have no qualms about leaving the school for personal reasons during that time and just let the office staff know I have left the premises in case of emergencies like an evacuation/lock down. Each year I need to give the principal a copy of my car insurance papers which she keeps in a file. So far, so good - no incidents yet [-o<
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

All that will change, I am so sorry to say, their are 229 schools doing LMBR SAP and other things. They are changeing the 229 schools before any one else. I am one of those 229 schools. Petty cash will be the first to stop, then, NO shopping at all. even home ec have to do it on line. Then NO SAO to leave school grounds during work hours, then starting times change, No more ordering via SAP for SAO only head teachers, If Head teacher away or on Long service leave, You will have to wait. Please believe me it is a NIGHT MARE, even little thing I need the Head Teacher has to get, save his documents up, and claim it via tax. Thank god its Friday. I really need a glass of wine.
Regards Labbie

sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

oh Labbie - sounds like a prison camp not a school! That would be horrible - and I bet the head teacher hates having to do the extra work and time.. It seems to me a false economy - I mean why pay the HOD the big bucks per hour to do what someone on less than 1/3 of that wage can do it.. what a waste of their 'human resources'!
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

I hear you all the way.
Regards Labbie

ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

I looked into this and my insurance company (4 letters, starting with N) assure me that my comprehensive car insurance will not be invalidated if I'm driving doing school duties; as far as they're concerned it's part of my life and the people I spoke to were surprised at my question.
I'm in a systemic rural catholic school- life would be impossible if we couldn't use own cars to go shopping etc.
Is this a case,do you think, of us all being in different systems under different rules?
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

From what I understand the changes were made by whoever oversees Workers Compensation. Something to do with workers not being covered by workers comp when travelling to and from work like we used to??
Don't know much more than that!

Lorrae
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

You're right Rae. Last year there was a change to Workers Compensation where you are no longer covered for injuries that occur on your way to or from work. If it is a motor vehicle accident, and you are not at fault, you are still covered under CTP insurance. That's my understanding anyway.

Not sure about travelling in work time for work purposes when it comes to workers comp. Think it is worthwhile checking with your car insurer as to their definition of private and business if you're planning on using your car for work.