and any other non-chem subjects.
nickykinz
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights
State/Location: QLD

Genetic peas

Post by nickykinz »

Over the past couple of years our genetic barley experiment hasn’t gone well. :-( The seeds have gone mouldy or not grown at all. Out of 12 seeds we often only get about 4 to grow. I tried different techniques (lid off, lid on, soak seeds before planting) but didn’t seem to make much difference.
So this year we have decided to give genetic peas a go. Has anyone done this? Any tips? How long do they take to germinate and type be determined?
TIA
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Re: Genetic peas

Post by mtg »

Done it for years, works well. I use beakers with paper towel around the inside of beaker sawdust, dirt, or vermiculite in the middle. Put seeds between the glass and the paper. Put in a warm spot , not too warm tho'. Dont over water. When they germinate you should get the different colours, as per leaflet. Further on you can put some in a dark cupboard and they green ones will lose their colour. (Not photosynthesise).
nickykinz
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights
State/Location: QLD

Re: Genetic peas

Post by nickykinz »

Oh, thanks for that. We started it on Monday so I just gave them disposable plastic bowls with seed raising mix in. But the beakers is great because you would be able to see them as soon as they started to sprout. I'll remember that for next year.
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300