Chem storage 2

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Chem storage 2

Post by mtg »

I have to unload all my chemicals into my new storage room. I have a vented flammables cupboard, (3's), I have a wall of lined shelving, at the end are 2 double full length cupboards with doors but not sealed, and a big sealed but not vented fire cupboard. I have exhaust fans. I don't have many 4's. I want the acids in a closed cupboard. Help gratefully accepted.
dime
State/Location: NSW

Re: Chem storage 2

Post by dime »

I got a new chem storage room a couple of years ago and I'm happy with it. But I don't have the acids in a cupboard. There are on shelves in a purpose built acid bay, with a hose and water close by. I do run the extractor fan 24/7 - was supposed to be 8.30 to 4.30 ea day, but I overrode that. I guess what I am saying is that too many fumes build up particularly from HCl, and I am happy that they dissipate rather than building up in a cupboard. Of course this wouldn't happen if a cupboard was mechanically vented but I don't have that.
The only chemicals I have in a cupboard, which is also not vented, are flammable liquids. This is in an airy part of the room (opposite the acid bay) and next to the grill to the outside. The fumes are not nearly as bad (in fact hardly noticeable) as when the old cupboard was located in a preproom. For me the important issue was good extraction from the fan and a source of fresh air (also a lot of dust!) from the grill in the window.
All other chemicals are grouped in their dangerous goods classes (separate shelves) and A - Z for the others.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Well done Dime, that sounds great, Yes I agree I would not put acids in a cupboard, unless it was purpose built for acids. How has the money for that.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
nickykinz
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickykinz »

I used to have my acids in cabinet that was a proper corrosive cabinet but not vented. It was horrible having to open it as you would get a face full of fumes every time. So I would agree, don't put acids in a cabinet unless it is vented or the only alternative is you sitting in the same room as them all day. If the chem storage room has exhaust fans, and you aren't in there all the time, you may be better off with them on open shelving but in big tote boxes (like the big Gratnell type ones) to avoid spillages and to help segregation.
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
judyjolly

Post by judyjolly »

It's also a good idea to store corrosives on a low shelf so that, if a bottle leaks or breaks, the solution can only reach your boots or ankles rather than face or arms :D
Judith
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

Thanks for your input everyone.