chemwatch TODAY

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty
State/Location: NSW

Re: chemwatch TODAY

Post by Ian »

Jazz wrote:few tips
make sure you Vendor SDS is selected, only click chemical that have AU attached, press F5 from time to time (to refresh site),. heir
http://www.chemtalk.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... SDS%20info
OK. I know that I am about to show myself to be a real "Dummy" here, but I have just renewed several dozen expired MSDS's with current "Gold SDS's. (I like the consistent format!) Am I not allowed to use the Gold SDS rather than the Vendor SDS? (Some substances may have a few different bottles on the shelf from different vendors for the same substance)

Cheers
Ian
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

as far as I know you have to have vendors SDS sheet for every chemical you have ( I have 4 different suppliersof Methylated Spirits and SDS sheet for each of tham), gold SDS is for diluted chemicals (ones you make 0.1HCl , if you are brave enough you can try to make own SDS sheet). check new regulations. you can find all information on work cover page. In am in independent school and just being audited by AIS WHS lady. She "recommended" to have SDS sheet for every detergent and soap we have. According to work cover you need only D.G ones and the rest is optional.
Cheers Jazz
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

The reason you have to send for it is that some suppliers want to control who has access to their SDS - and so they need to be notified before they will release it , or not release it, whatever they decide.. usually you will have it in 48 hours. BUT know when I want something I want it NOW - I don't have time to wait because I only sit at chemwatch when I need something... grrr
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks for your clarification Jazz and Sunray.

Next dumb question....

GoldFFX gives an option of selecting "Vendor's SDS" Is the "Vendors SDS" from Chemwatch good enough, or does it have to actually get posted to me from the vendor??

Ian
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

same thing, Chemwatch is like database of SDS sheets but it could be slow and out of date.
I found it easier to go directly to vendors site (or call) to download SDS. Chemwatch SDS are not always up to date (older than 5 years) while on vendors site you can access latest version and much quicker. I use chemwatch for manifest and labeling. This version is good and I'll start doing Risk assessment through them as well. Not prac. risk assessment, site risk only
Cheers Jazz
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Jazz,
I have always used Chemwatch SDS's and and they are never out of date. Sometimes they have a limited time on them maybe 2 years but I've never come across any that are older than that.

Lorrae
Ian

Post by Ian »

Lorrae, just looking at the Chemwatch site now. All the Gold MSDS's seem to be issued on 1/1/2013, but looking at the list of Vendor SDS's for Potassium Dichromate, there is a range of issue dates, ranging from 30/10/2012 (Melbourne Uni) to 14/6/2004 (H&W Cleaning Services). There are half a dozen MSDS's in the list that were issued in 2006 (Proscitech, Ajax, Science Supply, etc)

I guess Jazz is right, but I had never picked it up before, cos I always used the Gold MSDS's. (speaking specifically about the MSDS issue dates, that is. I am sure that Jazz is OFTEN right on MOST issued!!! - Am I digging myself in to a hole here Jazz?) #-o

cheers
Ian
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

LOL you sound like my ex husband :cheesy: :cheesy: guess all money spent on therapy #-o was wasted, still crazy and hormonal :cry2: trying to prove a point SORRY,it seems it is time to bow out
Cheers Jazz
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

I haven't used chemwatch almost all year but I have to do a chemical audit of the whole school tomorrow. I tried to login using the old web address but it didn't work. So after a call to them they have given me this one

jr.<URL removed, see forum rules>/cg3 Then you just need to put in your school login details to get in.

Most of you probably already know, but I thought I would put it up for anyone else like me that my be getting frustrated trying to use the det.nsw. login like it used to be.
estelle

Post by estelle »

Forum rules??
the URL is a det access one.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

But not all schools are DEC
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
estelle

Post by estelle »

Yes I know there are private schools on this site too but it would be handy to put the public url on to save some hassle. You still need a user name and password to access it.
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Post by Mother »

Hi all,
I have just tried to use chemwatch and my old site where you have a user ID and password doesn't seem to be available anymore.
I need to update my MSD sheets so how am I suppose to do that now?
Can anyone help me?
Cheers
Mother
superbug

Post by superbug »

sent you a PM mother with info required.