Magnetic compasses

and any other non-chem subjects.
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS
State/Location: NSW

Magnetic compasses

Post by J »

I have a question from our PDHPE faculty (and from me as well because I don't know the answer).
Often when we go to use the magnetic compasses they need to be reminded which way is north. :crazy: #-o
I know how to do that (from Chemtalk of course) but the question is: Is this happening because of the way we store them? Is there a way to prevent this happening?
If anyone has a solution we would be most grateful to know about it.
Thanks =D> =D>
J
sunray18

Re: Magnetic compasses

Post by sunray18 »

If you are storing them near anything magnetic or an electric motor, even a dishwasher or fridge, it will affect them.
Also the fridge magnets will affect them.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

It is possible for the magnetic needle to lose its polarity. Compass should be stored away from electronics (e.g., GPS, radios), batteries and many metallic (knives, saw) objects. Store away from magnets
Cheers Jazz
J

Post by J »

Thank you for that. The PE teacher was wondering if storing 20-30 of them together may effect them. We know to store them away from magnets etc. but can they have a negative effect on each other?
J
Graham Kemp
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St John's School
Suburb: Roma
State/Location: QLD

Post by Graham Kemp »

J wrote:Thank you for that. The PE teacher was wondering if storing 20-30 of them together may effect them. We know to store them away from magnets etc. but can they have a negative effect on each other?
J
Not noticably. Compass needles are fairly low strength magnets. The problem is with strong fields perpendicular to the plane of rotation (so the needle can't swing into alignment).
J

Post by J »

Thanks again for the help.
I hope the next time the PE teacher brings down compasses to be sorted out I'll be on long service leave and he'll have to deal with it. :giggle: :giggle:
J
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Perhpas this should be seen to be "regular maintenance".