Silver Nitrate stains

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

Silver Nitrate stains

Post by Kathryn »

Any suggestions for removal of silver nitrate stains on hands? :-( Think I should of been more concerned about myself rather than worrying about the fact I had just spilt the last of our saturated silver nitrate that was needed for an experiment that afternoon - so was desparately trying to salvage it (with no gloves!) Its a real delightful look just in time for Christmas! I'm serving sausages at a community carols on Saturday! 8O

Kathryn 8-[
lada

Re: Silver Nitrate stains

Post by lada »

Dermabrasion ME thinks
Lada
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

As far as I know you just have to wait until the skin replaces itself as it's actually a reaction in your cells. So yeah, lots of scrubbing I guess!
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant

Post by RosalieM »

PS what prac requires saturated silver nitrate? We have never used more than 5%, and even with that I am trying to tell teachers we don't need it that strong! Just curious...
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School

Post by fibreweb »

I haven't made any stronger then 0.1M in 14 years
Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

Fire Writing - a Creative Chemistry prac, Just a fun thing to do at the end of the year. Yeah I've been scrubing my hands so hard I'm in danger of getting dermatitis. I've had a little splash before but this looks really gross! :yuck:
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Wow how do you afford to make saturated silver nitrate. I only have a 25g bottle of crystals so am very frugal making it up!! We only have o.1M too!!
dime

Post by dime »

On a previous post, it said to soak your hands in bleach or iodine. Well, the bleach would lift my skin, so I'd be inclined to try the iodine. After soaking in iodine use methylated spirits to get the iodine stain off. Overall, I think I'd wear gloves dishing up the sausages and let nature take its course. I thought I'd read somewhere that hydrogen peroxide would help with silver nitrate stain, but can't confirm that. Would be worth a try though, as it would not hurt your skin, as it is an antiseptic, oh and it is a bleach too, so it might work.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

if there is no broken skin, rubbing with some common kitchen salt (sodium chloride) could help
Cheers Jazz
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

For glassware you use 10% sodium thiosulfate solution!! You could try that. I know it takes it off the floor!!
Good Luck!!
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

If anyone ask's just say it's a new TATTOO :cheesy: and that you are starting a new trend :clap3: :clap3:
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

Try a strong bicarb soln or I use sand soap or just a green scourer and morning fresh. good luck!
Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

I managed to remove most of it with intense scrubbing and buffing my nails. Around the edges and underneath my nails I can't do much about, so that still looks gross! :yuck:

You need very little of the sat solution to do the experiment. I gave out about 40mls - that has done 50 students with heaps left over.

Last day for students here tomorrow, so pretty crazy but soon time to hit the beach
Kathryn 8-)
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

If you are removing Silver Nit. stains from your hands let nature do its course. Wait until the stains are removed.

There are studies currently happening regarding using silver as a therapeutic drug so this won't be a dire concern if it is on your skin. (The reason I know this is that I am researching Silver drugs and compounds to use as CNS or anti cancer drugs.

Be careful, as the posts previous to these even that have suggested removing stains from bench tops. I would reccomend the Iodine for bench tops only, I can see your concerns if the discussion was base on hands only.

Don't want to be miss leading to others...

Cheers,

Robb.....
Last edited by Robb on 12 Dec 2012, 13:05, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: 1. Change of posting text.. 2. error correction..
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
piettaman

Post by piettaman »

If I can make a suggestion...
For years I have removed silver stains (from silver nitrate) by applying 0.1M Iodine with a tissue or a cloth to the skin or clothing for about a minute then sponging with a 1M soution of sodium thiosulfate. the iodine converts the silver stain into silver iodide and this is then dissolved by the sodium thiosulfate( as well as the excess iodine).This is then repeated as often as necessary.At the end of the process wash well with water or you risk redeposition of the silver on the skin.Iodine absortion will be minimal through the skin because contact time is short.

Piettaman
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

WOW thank you Piettaman and welcome to chemwatch, that is just great,
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Graham Kemp
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St John's School
Suburb: Roma
State/Location: QLD

Post by Graham Kemp »

My tip is simply never to pour silver nitrate solution; to minimise Murphy's Law of Fluid Transfer. (Anything that can flow wrong, will flow wrong.)

Always use a pipette to transfer from stock to sample bottle, or into test tubes, thus keeping the rims dry, and avoiding dribbles.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I have just found a way to have permanent nail colouring!
iodine!
I was washing up dropper bottles and didn't realise that there were a couple of holes in my lgoves.. I now have 3 nice brown stained fingernails!
It is the skin under the nail that looks stained!
I actually had someone in Woollies ask me waht nail polish I used!!! :)