Discrepancies on Chemwatch

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

Discrepancies on Chemwatch

Post by sunray18 »

Chemwatch? Anyone noticed this… are there other anomalies?

Barium Nitrate :
MW 261.3
Solubility is 10.1g/100g

Therefore you cannot make a 1M solution in water.. the strongest concentration you can make is 0.2M
HOWEVER Chemwatch has an MSDS for 1M and 0.5M Barium Nitrate, it has labels for them ..but does not have anything for 0.2M!!
If you can’t MAKE 1M or 0.5M- then why do they have the MSDS and labels for it
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Re: Discrepancies on Chemwatch

Post by rae »

A weird thing happened on the way to printing an sds for Sodium suldide. When I looked it up it had a hazard alert of extreme, when I hit print the image that came up was listed as moderate. The printed copy says extreme!! What the???
See attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Not to mention I went MSDS Chem-Supply Isopropanol and it took me to Chem-Supply Isopropanolamine!
Lou P.
Learner Lab Technician
Wagga Wagga
NSW
curie

Post by curie »

rae wrote:A weird thing happened on the way to printing an sds for Sodium suldide. When I looked it up it had a hazard alert of extreme, when I hit print the image that came up was listed as moderate. The printed copy says extreme!! What the???
See attached

I've found that . I think what happens is you get a sort of "ghost" image from the previous MSDS. I thought it was just my stupid system!
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

ChemSupply can be a little tricky for MSDS if you don't have the correct information typed into the search box. I tried Isopropyl and got isopropyl alcohol but no MSDS. So I then tried Propan-2-ol and it came up as Isopropyl alcohol which is Isopropanol. Unfortuately when you have a chemical that also goes by the name of sec-Propanol and 2-Propanol and every name is the same product it gets very confusing. I made a list, some time back, of chemicals which had many names for the same thing. It is a reasonably useful exercise to familiarise oneself with the chemicals in stock.
Lyn.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

For a COMMERCIAl company that is used world-wide, Chemwatch makes a LOT of mistakes..
If I was in industry I would be VERY WARY using it
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

I don't know what it's like using chemwatch over the net, I've only ever used the DVD's come through 4 x a year and have'nt had any problems.
This new programe I've been asked to use (and hate it) you have to email them for the MSDS etc., Ammonium Molybdate supplier Analar MSDS request 4 days later return MSDS from VWR International not Analar, which has the Chemwatch Number on it and when checked with Chemwatch it is identical word for word VWR letterhead.

I would be more than happy to stay with Chemwatch [-o<