Alloy Prac

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
malook
State/Location: NSW

Alloy Prac

Post by malook »

I'm looking for an easy Alloy Prac that does not require a blast furnace or anything too dangerous for Year 10. ope you can help :-(
dime

Re: Alloy Prac

Post by dime »

Many years ago, a teacher used to make an alloy with lead shot, I think. I can't remember the other ingredient, but possibly tin. He used to use crucibles but as I couldn't get it out when set, I gave him the crucible lids, which we had in abundance, and could then be thrown out. To stir I think he possibly used bits of copper wire. The teacher still sometimes does casual work, so I will ask him when I see him, just what the metals were - if he remembers!
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown

Post by smeee »

malook

Post by malook »

Yes thanks, its hard to find something not messy (crucibles), the lead shot is a bit of a concern for fumes. I appreciate your input.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

We used to make an alloy- 4g of lead foil and 6g of tin foil, roll the metals together and place in a crucible. Heat the crucible til they melt, stir with spatula and then remove the oxide layer. (Stop heating after 5-6 mins.) Then use tongs to pour the alloy into a metal tray then flatten gently with a hammer. Let it cool. Given the dangers of lead fumes you'd have to use a fume hood these days. My son did heaps of different alloys for his project science prac. years ago. Lots worked but I've no idea what he used. I'll keep looking.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

OK Found their prac! They made tin/lead, tin/brass, tin/copper, copper/brass and the rest were rubbish apparently. However with the copper/brass, they used "a blowtorch" and when "neither had melted after 15 minutes....... we decided to use the oxy-acetylene torch...". I'm assuming they were in the metal work room or at home in the back shed without permission!!!! I think the tin/copper one might work tho'