formaldehyde

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

formaldehyde

Post by RosalieM »

Can someone in a NSW state school please do me a favour and look up the current status of formaldeyde in schools? My HT says it was banned but then was 'un-banned' later. I know you have all talked about changing your specimens etc in the past because it was banned but I just wanted to know for sure :) I have tried searching online but the only links seem to be to the DET intranet.

Thanks in advance!
dime

Re: formaldehyde

Post by dime »

Well it says in the CSIS on the DET web site, that it can be used by seniors, albeit 2ml per student the suggested maximum, and in a fume cupboard or well ventilated area. The amount per student precludes its use as a preservative I imagine.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

It is NOT banned,
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Post by ellice »

I got rid of it when it WAS banned. 8-)
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Thanks everyone! A teacher wanted to use it for a demo for year 8 and I told them it was banned (not that that's stopped anyone in the past with other things!) but another teacher said they had done before, and then the HT said it's not banned anymore. Now I know :) The prac was done safely in the fume cupboard so all is good. Thanks again for clarifying it for me!
Graham Kemp
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St John's School
Suburb: Roma
State/Location: QLD

Post by Graham Kemp »

F.Y.I. The most recent update: http://hsis.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/Home/Updated (At time of posting:)
Safe Work Australia wrote:CHANGE TO HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE ENTRY FOR FORMALDEHYDE – July 2012
Based on the NICNAS (National Industrial Chemicals Notification and Assessment Scheme) Priority Existing Chemical Assessment Report for formaldehyde, Safe Work Australia has updated the entry in HSIS for formaldehyde to reflect recommended changes in classification. The update includes a change to the carcinogen classification from category 3 (limited evidence of a carcinogenic effect) to category 2 (may cause cancer by inhalation) and is made in accordance with the Approved Criteria for Classifying Hazardous Substances [NOHSC:1008(2004] 3rd Edition. The full classification is available on HSIS.

The NICNAS Priority Existing Chemical Report can be accessed from the NICNAS website, from the link

http://www.nicnas.gov.au/Publications/C ... rt_PDF.pdf

Manufacturers and importers need to consider this amendment and, if necessary, update safety data sheets and labels to ensure they contain correct and current information.

Email queries about the update can be directed to HSIS feedback.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

THanks for That Graham, I also saw it this morning. The Chemical should be Banned, so do not do it.

Say No
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: