Snack Tectonics

and any other non-chem subjects.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Snack Tectonics

Post by smiley »

At the risk of aggravating all those who loathe eating in the labs, here is an easy-to-do, totally fun experiment to demonstrate plate tectonics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers, K 8-)
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader
State/Location: NSW

Re: Snack Tectonics

Post by macca »

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Smiley you bring a smile to my face everytime you show up. :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Post by ellice »

Hi Smiley,
We just had a go using scotch fingers and adora cream wafers. What biscuits did you use? Also, I used ready bought frosting as it was a small class, but now some more people want to do it, and I'm thinking I'll have to make huge amounts of frosting!!?? But all up a huge hit, and once more I've dazzled with my repertoire. Thanks Smiley. =D>
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Have done some research on Graham Crackers -

They are more like a crispbread, similar to a cruskit in texture.
A rectangular-shaped, whole-wheat cracker that has been sweetened with honey or molasses.
Check out this site for some photos:
http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images ... acker.html

Substitutions: Substitute with plain cookie such as vanilla wafers, shortbread, ginger snaps, Marie biscuits, digestive biscuits (British) by Mcvitie's.

Also found this piece of wisdom om the same site:
Better avoid the original Graham Crackers LOL...I found this on my travels!
Graham Crackers Destroy Your Sex Drive?

Maybe graham crackers are typically served to kids because somewhere in our collective memory we know that graham crackers are wholesome and we worry that graham isn't good for sex?

Graham flour and later graham crackers were created by the Presbyterian minister Sylvester Graham.

He had some great ideas...

•We should eat foods high in fiber and with whole grains.
•Eating pure foods on a regular basis results in a long, healthy life.
and some less great ones...

•If food sits in the stomach for too long, it overstimulates the organs and causes sexual arousal.
•Rich, fatty foods only increase sexual urges.

Graham invented graham flour in the 1830s. It's a form of whole wheat flour that has a slightly coarser grind. It's higher in fiber than white flour and according to Graham, digests faster so as not to subject people to the desires of the flesh. This flour led to to the graham cracker: The Anti-Sex cracker. Now there's a marketing campaign slogan if I ever heard one.

The things we learn in Science!!
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Rich fatty foods for afternoon tea anyone :giggle:
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

What biscuits did you use?
Ellice, I used Arnotts Malted Milk biscuits and Roll-Ups, and once those Sour Straps. I also made home-made icing, from home-branded icing mixture, because it has cornflour in it. This gives it the oobleck effect, which mimics geological behaviours quite nicely. :thumbup: Glad you liked it. It was a huge hit with my classes too!
Cheers, K 8-)