solution help with the maths

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Narelle01
State/Location: NSW

solution help with the maths

Post by Narelle01 »

I just made phenolpthalein according to the instructions in the manual - school assistants working in science.
5gms in 500ml of ethanol, add 500mls water. Stir

But i halved it.....so 2.5gms in 250mls, then added 250mls water.

But is this solution not 1% now??? is is more like 0.5% solution - or am i having a dumb day and should go home and not touch any more chemicals????
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Re: solution help with the maths

Post by kimmy »

my receipe is
2g phenolphthalein in 600ml ethanol then make up to 1 litre with distilled water and filter.

but if you have halved your instructions than it should still me the same M. :thumbup:

But once again it is Monday morning :coffee: :coffee: so anything is possible.

KIMMY
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

thanks - the agar seemed to work okay when i added the NaOh...it is a deep colour - i just keep telling myself it is a senior prac - not an exam - or a uni thing....
Thanks for your encouragement
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

If it's percentage then 1g into 100ml is 1% so I reckon you're right. But it'll probably be ok as an indicator. I use 0.1% and 1% solutions and it"s only the water, wine, milk , beer/champagne prac (that I do) that it matters on the strength. So if you really need 1% start again with 125 and 125mls, trying to do the sums to rectify your existing soln is too hard on a monday.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

If your original was 1% and you halved the whole lot then it will still be 1% but your original is 0.5% (because it is 5g in 1000ml - 1% would be 10g in 1000ml) so your smaller lot is also 0.5%
lada

Post by lada »

Narelle, your original solution is only 0.5%.(5g into 1L.)
Indicator is not that critical anyway, it is only indication of colour. Anywhere from 0.1-0.5% will work.
Lada