IB Pracs

and any other non-chem subjects.
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

IB Pracs

Post by bindibadgi »

If you're in an IB school.....what sort of individual research pracs do your IB Biology kids do? They need to do fairly involved pracs, & each needs to be different enough from their classmates to satisfy the moderators, but ours have gotten bigger than Ben Hur!
2 classes are running activity of catalase, & they're all testing different fruits/vegies/meats, so with 24 kids it's a hell of a lot of shopping & prep.

Ideas & suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Kiah
bindibadgi
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Re: IB Pracs

Post by nickyw »

I'm not sure what an IB is but we do something similar (I think) in QLD called and EEI (extended experimental investigation) where students have to work on a individual research project.

Can be absolutely chaotic at times. We have reined the projects in now and students choose from a list of activitites so at least teachers and I know what is likely to be in store. There are always the few students who have come up with their own concept and that is encouraged. However students are told that science will supply all the science equipment and anything that we have in stock, anything else that they need then they have to bring in themselves. We simply cant afford to pay for all students needs.
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi
State/Location: NSW

Post by kimmy »

Give the students a list of what is available in your prep room and if it is different from that they bring in there own.

We recently did testing with various cleaning products - I supplied some and if they wanted different ones they supplied them themself also what they tested they provided.

Good luck KIM

PS what is a IB school
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

IB stands for International Baccalaureate
There are less than 20 IB schools in NSW but your state has heaps.

IB school list contact one of them
http://www.exfin.com/ib-schools-australia
Cheers Jazz
lesley.g

Post by lesley.g »

I am in an IB school and all the IA are a pain in the neck (I am being polite). For Biology we do catalase expt with kids just varing things slightly so they are different from each other. We also do a lot with plant seeds.