Chemffx Labels

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Re: Chemffx Labels

Post by fibreweb »

The chemfix labels only have a pictogram no DG group except for the 14 to a page
AnnNos
Job Title: Science Assistant

Post by AnnNos »

Linotas, could you give the link please? I can't find it.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

http://www.unece.org/trans/danger/publi ... grams.html

If you have a good look around there is heaps of info. Although the "summary" book to the official GHS document is 90-odd pages long 8O
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School

Post by fibreweb »

Whilst Googling for GHS and Transport codes I found this site which looks great for mini sds.

http://www.inchem.org/pages/icsc.html

It came from the united nations Economic commision for Europe So is reputable
http://www.unece.org
AnnNos
Job Title: Science Assistant

Post by AnnNos »

Thanks for the info.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

This is what needs to be on the side bar apparently and the GHS pictogram of corrosion.
GHS/HSNO
Codes:
Gazetted by
EPA NZ: 6.1E
(oral)/H303
6.1E
(dermal)/H313
8.1A/H290
8.2C/H314
8.3A/H318
kurra

Updating MSDS

Post by kurra »

Hello to everyone, I have been a member for a while but this is my first post.

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I am just updating our MSDS sheets which is a job well over due. When down loading many new data sheets, I find they have been now reclassified, as now being dangerous or high hazard, classified by chemwatch, but I'm not sure how to decide the new user code for the chemicals. I know they come with a new colour code but it seems to be inconsistent.

For instance. Cobolt (ll) chloride was classified as slightly toxic, but not hazardous. Now it is classified as High Hazard & Dangerous. It is colour coded as orange with ChemWatch, so I am guessing it should only be used by years 11 & 12, and not 7 to 12 as previously stated in the old CSIS reference folder.

Citric acid, was previously classed as harmless, but now is classed as a high hazard but not dangerous and the sheet has a orange colour code. It was previously stated that it could be used by K to 12, but now it seems to have a high risk to the eyes so I am assuming it can only be used by 11& 12.

Then there is the new ones that have been reclassified but colour coded yellow. Moderate hazard. I am assuming, this means they can be used by 7 to 12.

Do I just go with the assumption that:
Blue MSDS means K to 12
Yellow MSDS means 7 to 12
Orange MSDS means 11 to 12
Red MSDS means Teacher,

If anyone has a good understanding on how to update the user colours on our jars of chemicals it would be much appreciated. I feel the old CSIS folder is way too far out of date, thanks Kim.
kurra

Re: Updating MSDS

Post by kurra »

PS. I understand that Green is the colour code for years 7 to 12, :-)
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Any way it is SDS now, not MSDS and they are to be GHS format, from chemwatch

THe OLD CSIS has not changed, green 7-12 Orange 11-12 Red Teacher

The colour's from chemwatch (As far as I know, have very little to do with the colour dots from CSIS)
As most of us from DEC schools, do not print their SDS in colour, I do not have a colour printer to start with. It may change class, but as far as I know not the colour dot. Do hope that helps you.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

The colour dots are issued by CSIS not Chemwatch
Even though the chemical has been reclassified that does not mean the CSIS dot colour has changed
Besides I have a gripe that we have to conform with CSIS but we are denied access because we are not a DET school, Go figure
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge
State/Location: SA

Post by DavidPeterson »

I'm in SA and have never heard of CSIS - this is obviously an Eastern state thing? Can someone please explain what it stands for and what it means?
DCP 8-)
STEM Resource @ Laboratory Manager
RPAS (Drone) Pilot
kurra

Post by kurra »

Thanks Labbie and Ocker, this helps a lot.

David, CSIS stands for Chemical Safety In Schools and is a reference documents put out by the NSW department of education and training. These are the guide lines we must follow when working with chemicals in schools.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant

Post by RosalieM »

It stands for Chemical Safety in Schools and was originally created for NSW state schools. It is extremely out of date (well over 5 years - this is my 6th year here and it was a few years old when I started). It has information on how to do things, what is allowed/not allowed in schools, what chemicals can be used by who, and what needs to be done to dispose of them (eg, down the sink, store for collection, react with _____ before flushing down the sink) and other bits and pieces. It really needs an update and a computer component (especially for private schools) for easy searches. It is currently housed in 2 large folders which take up too much space in my opinion and I never have enough bench space in my prep room to open them anyway! Like Ocker said, private schools don't have access to it online.
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge
State/Location: SA

Post by DavidPeterson »

The closest thing we have to that is a series of Excel Spreadsheets supplied by the Department that lists all Approved Substances, with DG, Class info, as well as R&S Phrases, storage category etc. It's essentially a Risk Assessment document for all approved chemicals (you still have to assess risks involved in the way they are use for each prac activity). There's no categorisation as to whether it is or isn't acceptable for use by junior classes - I do that myself based on experience more than any directive from above. It's format is such that it could be used as Hazardous Substances register - although I use a database program for this site.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DCP 8-)
STEM Resource @ Laboratory Manager
RPAS (Drone) Pilot
Adrianna

Post by Adrianna »

Hi David
Why don't you use Chemwatch Gold III to keep a chemical register? I did use Chemwatch Gold II at my previous school for the whole school chemical register and found it very good, but Chemgold III seems a little bit more complicated.
Adrianna
Cin
School: Narrabri High
Suburb: Narrabri

Post by Cin »

Printing MSDS & labels is fine, but as for the other stuff it is a pain in the backside. I printed off User guide and still can't make heads or tails of it. (Wasted a lot of time - Not Happy!!!) Think I will stick to my spreadsheet. :crazy: