ferric ammonium citrate

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
curie
State/Location: NSW

ferric ammonium citrate

Post by curie »

I am trying to find info on a chemical (ferric ammonium citrate) that the art department has in " cyanotype solution".
The bottle says:
Cyanotype solution - ferric ammonium citrate - 25g, 10g potassium ferricyanide, 200mL H2o.

I can not find ferric ammonium citrate anywhere in CSIS. Can anyone enlighten me as to what the user code is?
Can anyone tell me if this cyanotype solution (as made) is hazardous?

On a strange note, when I asked the art department for more info on what was in their "cyanotype solution" they told me they got it from me so I should know. The bottle has a label on it (the old CSIS type, not the new chemwatch type) that says it is not hazardous, is 7-12 and was prepared on 1/12/2010. Not by me it wasn't! as I don't have these chemicals in my prep room. 8-[ :oops: This place just gets stranger.
curie

Re: ferric ammonium citrate

Post by curie »

...and the chemwatch MSDS says both these chemicals are hazardous
anneb

Post by anneb »

We use this chemical in Year 11 & 12 photography and on one of our old bottles it is called Ammonium Ferric Citrate. It is ok to use for students in years 7-12 (green dot).
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Hmm... I've found it's always worth checking chemicals like that one by all possible name combinations in Appendix D. Some are cross-referenced, but many aren't. Bit of a pain, but what a huge job trying to cover them all!
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!