Chemicals of Security Concern

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

Chemicals of Security Concern

Post by sunray18 »

From the ASET Day, I wasn't sure about the security we were to maintain for Bromine and Hydrogen Peroxide stored in refrigerators - whether the refrigerators needed to be locked or in a locked store room.
I asked Ian D'Souza for advice. This is his reply:

Chemicals of Security Concern.
UNCLASSIFIED
Dear Pamela,
Thanks for your email and glad my presentation last week was useful.

Currently, the Australian Government does not mandate that ALL chemicals of security concern should be kept and stored in a locked area. However, should industry wish to increase their security measures for these chemicals of security concern and take that further step then it is highly valued and is a more responsible approach to prevent vulnerability of the bromine and/or hydrogen peroxide being subject to theft and/or diversion.

I am aware that current state and federal OHS legislation have strict requirements for the flammables and corrosives and as such they are subsequently stored away in locked cabinets.

As I had detailed in my presentation, there are certain proposed concentration cut-off’s for hydrogen peroxide and certainly at a government level, a regulation impact statement (RIS) is underway to understand and develop measures to address the security risks posed by these 96 chemicals of security of concern.

Regards

Ian D'Souza
Assistant Director
Chemical Security Risk Assessment Unit
National Security Policy Branch I National Security Law and Policy Division
3-5 National Circuit I Barton I ACT I 2600
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Re: Chemicals of Security Concern

Post by linotas »

How do I find out what are the 96 chemicals of security concern? Your PD sounds like it was amazing.
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes
State/Location: NSW

Re: Chemicals of Security Concern

Post by noona »

I think for the small amout we use what we are doing is fine.
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au