Calcium Oxide Classification

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
merilyn
State/Location: NSW

Calcium Oxide Classification

Post by merilyn »

Our Calcium Oxide is stored with the other corrosives (non-acids), it has a DG 8 label on it. I was just looking on Chemwatch and it has no dangerous goods code on the mini msds at all. When I looked at the supplier's website it is classed as a DG8.

Thought it was something for you all to be aware of. I'll be keeping it with the other corrosives.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Re: Calcium Oxide Classification

Post by Lyn »

Calcium Oxide is only classified as Class 8 if it is being transported by air. Otherwise according to the MSDS put out by ChemSupply it is not classified as Dangerous Goods if it is being shipped by road or rail transport. Would probably be okay to store in general chemical section with other oxides.

Lyn.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Interesting you bring this up as I have just been updating my MSDS for the month and notice Calcium hydroxide is now classified as a class 8 too. This has changed since the last time. I'm wondering about the storage of this too. Mine is with the general population of NR. It is listed in the CSIS as NR.
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

Hi Rae (and everyone else!)
I feel like I'm opening a can of worms when I start looking in the chemical store. Going through the list yesterday, I found 5 chemicals incorrectly stored in the stable chemicals section that should have been elsewhere, some were wrong according to the MSDS that was printed 2 years ago and others have had recent changes. Definitely worth checking.
Then to dig further into that can of worms, I looked on the NSW Workcover site regarding hazardous substances (you can download the code of practice if you's like some "light" reading over the weekend) and to me it is clear that the mini MSDSs from Chemwatch do not comply with Workcover's requirements (in Section 5.2 of the code). I could just go along with the system and not say anything but I feel morally obliged to point this out to the HT.

Bring on the weekend! :beg:
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

I always thought the mini MSDS was not a leagl document anyway, just a summary if needed, and the full MSDS is the legal document which must be followed. The mini MSDS for Calcium Oxide does come in Orange (moderate risk) and does indicate it is corrosive (pictagram lower left hand side) and also states it is "NOT REGULATED FOR TRANSPORT OF DANGEROUS GOODS" (sorry cut and paste :lol:)

I think you just have to be careful what and how you use chemwatch. Legally we should be using manufactuer supplied MSDS's anyway and only resort to generic if a manufactuer's one cannot be sourced. Most of the big chem suppliers have free MSDS'S online that you can print out. Annoying, but it you only have one or two brands, it is a pretty simple matter of "search and print"

Also legally MSDS"s have to be reviewed every 5 years. So if you are reviewing before then and find a change, then good, but I wouldnt get too concerned if you find changes that necessitate changing storage requirements. Being up to date to the latest recomendations on everything is just impossible. As long as you can show you are following procedures relivant to your organisation then I think you have covered yourself.
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

Linotas - good to know I'm not alone in this. When you look at a full MSDS that is 10 pages which Workcover want us to have, and then look at the mini MSDS that is only one page you can easily see why Workcover doesn't accept them - they are not in the standard form.
The one advantage chemwatch has with our manifest is that it shows the current DG class without having to check the MSDSs, that makes it easy.