balances

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

balances

Post by dolphinscales »

Ok out of curiosity is there anyone out there using balances form a cheap source say Kmart for weighing.
I know that they have a electronic balance that does has a decimal range of 0.1g. Our needs do not require beyond that. The way the kids treat the balances and the teachers are not inclined to change behaviours I am thinking of maybe getting a few of them in instead of spending a few hundred dollars on new ones each year to have them break and need replacing (too dear to fix).

Only an idea but a thought all the same.
marilynm

Balances

Post by marilynm »

Hi Annette
Yes, we use cheap balences and I have been impressed so far.
We bought 6 Kitchen Balances from Scienctific in January 2006. $35 each, Item SC5047, 2Kg/1g and still going strong.
marilynm
dolphinscales

Post by dolphinscales »

Thanks for that Marilynm
Cuishie

Post by Cuishie »

Hi All, I have another problem with electronic balances in that the power adaptors keep on stuffing up. I don't know if it is something the kids are doing or if they are just supplied with cheap and nasty adaptors and these need to be replaced with better quality ones!!! If this is the case where would be a good place to get them from?
dolphinscales

Post by dolphinscales »

Tandy's ? Dick Smiths?
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga
State/Location: NSW

Post by Loopy »

Hi!
I buy digital scales from Big W at a cost of approx. $24 each. They have the capacity up to 2kg and 1g graduation. These are powered by 2 AA batteries, automatically zeros when turned on and tare can be reset to allow for separate weighing of items as they are added to the scale. Oh! and they automatically turn after a few minutes of non-use. Great for the junior school.
Maybe you look to a department store for something like this?
Hope it helps,
Regards,
Lou P.
ird
State/Location: QLD

ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT ETC

Post by ird »

Gday All,

For general information!!!

Don't go to your local Tandy or Dick Smith store, go online to Dick Smith Wholesale, all prices are well below store prices. :wink2: