and any other non-chem subjects.
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury
State/Location: NSW

Biodiversity month display

Post by vlclabbie »

Hey guys (my gurus!)

I've been asked to do a display for biodiversity month & am looking for some ideas....

We only have limited biological samples unfortunately (& hence me asking you guys!)

Much karma to everyone

Cheers Kel
amandag
State/Location: VIC

Re: Biodiversity month display

Post by amandag »

A shopping trip to Melbourne..no I mean a visit to the Melbourne museum, OK ..thats out but you could ource a few ideas......
http://museumvictoria.com.au/melbournem ... dio-trail/
or
http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/

amanda
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

The NSW Dept of Environment has a pretty cool teaching resource for biodiversity. The focus seems to be on ecosystems and inter-dependence between species. We have set up things in the past like little laminated photos of the species in an ecosystem, and the kids have to arrange them into a food web. Using photos/pictures means you can include micro-organisms etc. Then we ask them to identify all the organisms that are affected if one species is removed. Usually, it turns out to be everything else that's affected. I've also done the same thing with seed pods, bunches of grass etc, and little plastic animals, and made something like the good old diorama.

There's also the notion of diversity within a species, and how that could be good/bad/indifferent. Even something like a display of a bunch of different potato or sweet potato types, some samples of different types of wheat & related grains to show that we don't need a monochromatic wheat variety.

Hope that's useful.
Cheers, K 8-)
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Wow thanks guys! See you just proved my guru comment right!!

Will put the thinking cap on over the weekend & set up next week. I'm loving your ideas & website directions though.

Any others are still more than welcome - there's enough karma to go around. :thumbup:

Kel
matchstick
Job Title: School Admin.Assistant
School: Strathfield South Public School
Suburb: Strathfield

Post by matchstick »

ask the seniors to set the display.....give the power to the students