Stomata in leaves

and any other non-chem subjects.
bindi
State/Location: NSW

Stomata in leaves

Post by bindi »

Hi all!
Can anyone recommend a plant we can use to make slides which shows the stomata well. :?:

Have used geraniums but my supply was dug up by some plumbers last month and I was hoping something else in the garden here may work.
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Post by dolphinscales »

Hi there

Although I have not done it I was told once should I ever need the broad bean has great leaves for stomata.
I think geraniums are used mostly because they are found everywhere and easy to use. If broad beans are not in season when you are doing the prac I am sure one of the teachers in the school will have geraniums in their gardens -if not the school - ask around might be easier.

Hopefully someone will come up with something better :)
Alice
State/Location: WA

stomata in leaves

Post by Alice »

Hi Bindi

We use Wandering Jew (Tradecantia zebrina). The leaves are green on top and red/pink underneath.
It gives really good results.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Alice
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

Hi

We have used hibiscus leaves before only because there is a large plant right outside my office window. Very handy, it also has good results.

Hope this helps

Cheers Nicky ;-)
jilly

Stomata in Leaves

Post by jilly »

Hello
We had great success yesterday with iris leaves (which are plentiful in our dry climate). Break the leaf across then tear longways to get a thin transparent piece of leaf tissue.
This may be of use.
Regards
Jilly
Josie
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St Pat's Marist College
Suburb: Dundas

Stomata in leaves

Post by Josie »

Hi,

I've used agapanthas for this application. Like iris leaves they are easy to tear longways.

Cheers Josie
bindi

Post by bindi »

Thanks all, I used aggies & hybiscus, all plants we have growing in school garden.

Worked Great ;-)
ri

Stomata in leaves

Post by ri »

Hi,
our teachers are very fond of painting firm plant/tree leaves with clear nail polish. This when dry, can be peeled off and placed on a microscope slide for viewing. They seem very happy with the results from pittosporum (native privet) leaves.
Cheers,
~Robyn
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

G'Day,

All our Seniors are investigating stomata for their EEI's, so that's all we've been doing for the last xillion lunch hours. We compared monocotyledons with Dicots for a look at how stomata were arranged on the leaf. We used sugar cane leaves (life in the tropics) 8-) but bamboo would also work, to demonstrate monocots. The outside leaves of red cabbage, slightly wilted, also gives great results. It's also fun to compare epiphytes with their host trees.

Cheers, Kristin