Krysia Lee
Job Title: Labbie
School: Brigidine College
Suburb: St Ives
State/Location: NSW

Rumkorff induction coils

Post by Krysia Lee »

Hi
We recently bought 2 of these things from Serrata. The instructions really only tell what the induction coil is but nor how to use it. We've just spent an hour or more trying to get the spectrum tubes to glow or trying to produce a spark and nthing is happening. It is actually making a noise so something must be happening we're just not getting the results we need. Has anyone got any suggestion or advice on how to use these things.
Thanks Krysia
Ev
State/Location: VIC

Re: Rumkorff induction coils

Post by Ev »

smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Krysia,

Ev is spot on with that web site. It tells you all you need to know.

However....I bought a cool little device from Scientrific, made by IEC (I think) that you simply clip spectrum tubes into, and switch on. It's a no-brainer, and so much easier than induction coils. :thumbup:
Cheers, K 8-)
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Do tell, Smiley!! More info?? What is it called exactly! Sounds ideal!!
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

I have come across them a couple of times at the Physics workshops at the conference in St Mary's. They look great and seem to work really well, but we never have enough money to replace things like that, :cry: so we use the old ones with the induction coil.
J
smiley

Post by smiley »

The unit is called a "Spectrum Discharge Tube Power Supply", and yes they are a little expensive, but also safe, and easy to use. My only comment is that they need to change to glowing red on/off switch to something that doesn't glow, since the colour adds to the spectrum being emitted. We get around this by covering it with black cardboard. Supplier is indeed Scientrific.
Cheers, K 8-)
Krysia Lee

Post by Krysia Lee »

Thanks for all the replies guys. I knew I could rely on you. I had found that website Ev but the coils still don't work. Rang Serrata and they think they maybe faulty. I'm sending them back and trying Scientrific. Thanks again krysia
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

I don't know if your school is rural or not but the other alternative is to use an electrive fence supply :coffee:
Krysia Lee

Post by Krysia Lee »

Hi Smiley , do you use the same power supply for the Crooke's tube. ( maltese cross and paddle wheel ones). Thanks
Krysia
smiley

Post by smiley »

Well, haven't been asked to use those in the lo-o-o-ongest time, so no, I don't. However, maybe one could ask the question of the Scientrific mob, if it is even possible to do so?
Cheers, K 8-)
dime

Post by dime »

We have the power source for the spectrum tubes. It is made to take the gas tubes ie oxygen, nitrogen, helium etc. We use the induction coil for the crookes tubes and the vacuum scale tube sets. I don't know that it could be adapted to power the crookes and vacuum tubes.
Krysia Lee

Post by Krysia Lee »

YIPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE. We got it working. Nearly had a heart attack when the sparks started I was so excited. Thanks for your help.
Krysia