My replacement

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree
State/Location: NSW

My replacement

Post by ellice »

Hi gang,
I've mentioned before about having term 2 off (LSL). Well, my HOD just told me that he and me will be doing the interviewing on Monday. I've never been on the other end, so am a bit anxious about the whole thing, and I need some help with relevant questions. There are two people. One is a teacher, not working at the moment, and the other worked in industry long ago (so did I). I know what I do every day, but how can I find out if they can???!!!
Any help appreciated.
Ellice 8)
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: My replacement

Post by Labbie »

Its on again, I am to work in the office for all of term 2, while some one else, learns my job. Its a joke, each year this comes up, last you the SAM, said of thank you Labbie, but I did not mean you, this year you can do the telephones, and typing. I will practice two fingers typing over the weekend. It is about time the PSA changed the rules.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

I'm with you Labbie just make lots of mistakes and then maybe they might leave you be :thumbup:
Good Luck
I used to do the phones once a term on a friday Recess 1 as we have a morning tea and we had to take it in turns I did a bad job so they don't ask me anymore :clap3:
By the way who teachers the one going to Science??????? NOT YOU I HOPE
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
tigger
Job Title: Lab tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tigger »

Use questions related to certain aspects of your job.
It is very hard, I can see why you are stuck. I hope these are helpful.
Ideas: What is an MSDS and why do we need one?
Questions around what chemicals students are and aren't allowed to use and how to find out what is safe.
Ask a question about a certain type of prac ie what equipment etc would you need for a precipitation prac?
What is a risk assessment and why is it necessary that they be completed?

Good luck with the interviewing. Let us know how you go. :)
Tigger
lada

Post by lada »

Hi Ellice,
I just had a uni student applying for my LSL. He is doing chemistry at Uni.
His biggest problem will be finding things and insuring ALL equipment is in the baskets.
I have done all the RA and have MSDS for next term, will do requisition for term 2 and 3, so we all hope he will do fine. He will have 5 days with me before I leave.
The fact that a person had worked in industry all those years ago could be advantage, providing they are computer savvy.
Teachers still cannot hold a candle to my titration technique. I used to do hundreds a day doing BO.
Have great holiday.

Lada :coffee:
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

Ellice
I think questions about time management and conflict are good, it gives a great indication as to how the person will cope with stress. A question I liked at my interview, which I think helped me get the job was "What would you do if you were really busy and a teacher came to you with a last minute request for a prac?"
Questions along the lines of what would you do if confronted with something unfamiliar, can be useful. You want someone who can problem solve but isn't afraid to ask for help when needed.
I've interviewed applicants in my old job. Be careful to ask questions that are at a level for the position. You don't want to completely bamboozle someone who then is put off and unable to answer their other questions properly. Remember what it's like to be at the receiving end.
matchstick
Job Title: School Admin.Assistant
School: Strathfield South Public School
Suburb: Strathfield

Post by matchstick »

my imput is probably too late now but.........you can only be on an interview panel if you have done the interview technics workshop.Hope youve done it cause your replacment could
appeal.Becareful
Matchstick
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Post by ellice »

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are going with the lady from industry (who has actually worked in schools briefly), rather than the teacher/research chemist (who was a bit apprehensive about eyes, hearts, etc) The time management situation was mentioned, and the ability to juggle 10 people, 6 labs and various experiments running at the same time. Feel a practical, rather than academic person (you know what I mean) is suited to this type of work.
Actually, I started to become tired listening to all the things I do!!
Ellice 8)