Science focus books

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
ana.santos
Job Title: Science lab Assistant
School: Mary Mackillop College
Suburb: Wakeley
State/Location: NSW

Science focus books

Post by ana.santos »

hi all,

Anyone who has spare Science focus 1 (first ed) 30 copies and Science Focus 3 (first ed) 15 copies, if you would like to sell or lease, we are interested as we are short for yr 7 and 9 classes. We ordered these books from a supplier but they run out of the first ed so we got the second ed which is a bit different in content.otherwise if you know where we can order the first ed, please let me know.Thanks.

Ana
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Re: Science focus books

Post by macca »

Hi Ana, we're in the same position, have had to issue class sets and get the kids to share. No point buying new ed to many changes, then we'll have to buy all new books when everything changes to national circ.

The book companies must be making a fortune.
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

For your year 9's and 10;s they should have laptops. We have put the Text onto the Laptop and they no longer need to lug around atext book and is saving us a fortune.

KIMMY
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Kim - how did you go with copyright? We have just bought some more textbooks, and I've asked the HT to find out how many times we can download them using the registration code inside the book (no longer supplied with CD's).

If anybody knows how this works now, please let us all know!
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
ana.santos
Job Title: Science lab Assistant
School: Mary Mackillop College
Suburb: Wakeley

Post by ana.santos »

Thanks belinda for donating some of your books! :D I agree with you macca, these companies are making a fortune, they actually changed just a bit of the content and face out the older edition!We tried to have the year 9 load the CDs but our coordinator still wanted them to get the books and she said that students would still be using them in the next 3 years...

Ana
dime

Post by dime »

When we bought our Focus books, you had to buy a class set and then you are allowed to put it on your school network. Like Kim, the year 9 and 10 use their laptops and network. But some teachers still prefer the books - different strokes for different folks - and some just like a few books, for those students who don't bring their laptops for whatever reason.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Thanks for your replies, everyone. Here's the answer to my question, in case anyone else is wondering:

My HT rang Wileys, the publishers of the Jacaranda Core Science Stage 5 books we bought, and was told that they automatically reset the codes every 2 years (makes sense, as they cover 9 & 10), but that they will do it annually on request.

Cheers :D
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Kimmy, I have sent you a email. We are very interested in putting Science Focus 1 & 2 on the computer for the students. Do I do this through the IT chap??????????? Can any one help us???
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
dime

Post by dime »

It would have to be done thu your IT guy. We have it on the school network, plus it has been put on the individual computers so when the students take their laptops home they have Science Focus on it, supposedly for homework?
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

we did it ourself - put the books onto thumb drive and than the students transfer needed book onto laptop :w00t: . Took a few minutes for me to put the books onto thumb drive but it is a lot less time than chasing up books.
Who said we can not be IT as well as everything else we get to do.
I love my job :thumbup: and the range of tasks that it gives you every day you never know if you are going to do just science stuff - ag stuff - admin duties - kitchen help or now IT versatile position is this.

KIMMY