pay rates

for anything else that doesn't fit.
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

Re: pay rates

Post by sunray18 »

Just a note re student numbers.. we are yrs 7 to 12 and have 900 students.. Ocker is a senior school and has about 1200 [am I right ocker?].. and yet HE is on the same pay scale as I am... and less hours than I am... there isn't any equity in the system is there!!!!
AND - those of us who have higher qualifications are on same pay scales as those with no ,or little, training...
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Its mad just mad :mad:
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I have 2 degrees (not trying to brag, that's just how it is) and was talking to my mum the other day and she said a 15yo she knows who was not at all academically inclined has left school and is doing a chef apprenticeship (1st year) and is on $22/hr. Crazy, huh? A first year apprentice earning about the same as an overqualified school labbie!
fiona
State/Location: VIC

Post by fiona »

I don't know what award I am on (and its like pulling teeth trying to get that information. It took 6 months and a run in with the principal before I even got a job description), I haven't worked it out per hour, but I'm pretty sure it would be in the order of $19 an hour. The most depressing thing about this is that i earn $18 dollars an hour as a gymnastics coach. Like RosalieM I also have 2 degrees, so I suppose I can take heart that I will never earn enough to ever have to pay back my Hecs debt!
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Yeah! But I'm in semi-retirement I only do enough to keep out of trouble, the rest of the work won't go away, so no great loss.
You get what you pay for!
You pay peanuts you get monkeys who don't run all over the school doing photocopiers and everything else, don't do it and they won't ask you to.
Do it and they'll dump extra on you.
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville

Post by Xenon »

62 cents? Minus whatever marginal tax-rate you're on!
:-({|=
Xe, SD, KOPR
natfrog
State/Location: NZ

Post by natfrog »

Xenon,
You are very astute, 62 cents - 23% = 47.74 cents.
X 10 hours = $4.774
Our secondary school teachers just had a strike day on Sept 15th.
They are planning rolling strikes throughout the 4th term, starting Oct 14th.
They want 4%, govt is offering 1.5%.
They don't want performance rates. Crap teachers get the same as the gem teachers.
Must be the only industry left ( apart from politicians) where you are not judged on your results.
It is going to be hard to get to the Minister of Mr Ed while this stuff with teachers is going on.
Technicians will get the back seat.
Persevere, I say, the squeaky wheel gets the most oil!! Hopefully. :hitthefan:
Cheers
Nat
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Yeah but teachers have to train humans, so results vary. The proposals here have been to pay teachers on the results of their students, or fund the schools according to their results, which is basically another way of shafting the already disadvantaged. How do you define who's crap or who's good when their classes may be so far behind the 8-ball it's not funny? And sometimes crap teachers can float under the radar because they're in a nice school where the kids achieve anyway.

At least when I trained customs dogs, we could give them away if they were clearly unsuited to learning. And if they were excessively aggressive, well, it was sleepy bye-byes time! Oh...if only!
Cheers, K 8-)
JelJane
State/Location: NZ

Post by JelJane »

I totally disagree with funding schools or basing teacher pay rates on the one off results of students. However is there not some way that the improvement of students may be measured over the year to test the efficacy of the teacher? Maybe some kind of initial knowledge exam retaken at the end of the year? To me, performance based pay is the only way to go, there must be more incentives for teachers doing the job well as opposed to just turning up!
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

Ohhh i couldn't agree more, they must be the only professionals who are not accountable for their positions. Dont get me wrong the majority of teachers do a wonderful job but there are those few that do slip under the radar. One example that I have come across is a senior teacher who has crossed over to secondary teaching and could not handle his classes, stuffed everything up, to my horror he was put into science (not science trained) and I had a terrible time with him as his practices were far from safe, soooo much equipment was broken from his unruly classes etc etc. He has now left 'phew' and is on stress leave, BUT he was getting paid more then some of our fantastic younger teachers who put their heart and soul into their job, to me it doesn't seem fair. The poor teachers who have taken over his classes now are tearing their hair out as there has been no disipline or teaching for that matter for the past 3 terms grrrrrr.
smiley

Post by smiley »

Trouble is our basic nature of being too embarrassed to rebuke people professionally. It's just too hard to get it right, so nobody tries.

It's easier to get someone sacked for something outrageous, than a continuum of incompetence.
Cheers, K 8-)
dawn.rajcevski

Post by dawn.rajcevski »

The pay rates in NSW are $26.07 per hour which are the same for administration positions. Sadly the position classification is school administration officer which does not reflect accurately the scientific nature of the position and the inherent compliance knowledge required. Good luck