Holiday work

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
fiona
State/Location: VIC

Holiday work

Post by fiona »

I was just curious as to how many of you are required to work through the school holidays. I started here in February and was told that I am required to. However, it is a very small school (of about 450 students P-12) and once students leave I get things done quite quickly and do not require two weeks of work. The left over time consists of me, sitting in my office alone (because no one else has to work during the holidays) and watching the clock until knock off time. When I mentioned to my HOD that no other lab techs I know work through the holidays she was very surprised which made me wonder if these other lab techs were the exception to the rule.
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes
State/Location: NSW

Re: Holiday work

Post by noona »

In NSW DEPT Schools we don't have to work in the holidays. :clap3: :clap3:
I know of some that come in and so stuff, but it is not part of their job.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I often come in during the holidays tio feed the fish and finish jobs.. but don't get paid for it :redcard:
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

:D I work in NSW private school, we dont work holidays, Im paid for the 42 weeks I work but we have the option of being paid for the holidays by dividing our 42 weeks of pay by 52, I take this option, I get paid less per week but get paid through the holidays! which I like :thumbup: so looking forward to three weeks paid leave starting next week :giggle: MariaC
bindi

Post by bindi »

Im in a independant NSW school do 5 days prorata through the year other support staff do 12. Which suits me fine. I also need to start work in Jan a week earlier than teachers & students.
Voice

Post by Voice »

G'day Fiona,
Are you at a private school? If so, then look at your contract to see your conditions of work. You may be required to work during the holidays. If you work in a Government school then conditions of employment may be different and are usually so. If that is the case get in touch with your union or reply to this forum.
Maree
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

I work in an independant school and only have to work school terms. I still have to come in during our professional development days (one week and one day per year), and a few extra days at the beginning and end of the year. My pay is averaged over the whole year so I get the same pay each fortnight, regardless. There is a formula in our work agreement that allows HR to calculate the hourly rate. Even with this averaging I am still on a higher hourly rate than my old job which required lots of staff supervision and business planning, so I'm happy as Larry with this arrangement. :D
I can't begin to imagine how boring it would be around here during the holidays with no one else to work with and having to find work to keep me occupied. If you can afford the pay cut it would be worth discussing your work arrangements with your HOD.
Bring on the holidays!
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Hi Fiona

I dont work school holidays either...

cheers
Lisa
Shelley Ratcliffe
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Blakehurst

Post by Shelley Ratcliffe »

I dont work school holiday.
Judy R
State/Location: QLD

Post by Judy R »

The norm is not to work the holidays...hence paid for 40 weeks a year in the independent system.
It is an OH&S issue for you to be alone in the school....you shouldn't be as it is not secure and no help available if you need...a phone is not enough!
Your HOD should know this!
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

I am in a private school and am required to work one week out of each holidays. That is when I get the student cupboards back in to order, restock solutions, install data projectors, etc. It is MUCH better working when the kids and teachers are not around!! :D

Ian :)
smiley

Post by smiley »

I think the important thing is to check your contract and check your rate of pay.

If you are being paid for 52 weeks of the year, then you are ahead of almost all of us, as pretty much all of us are paid for term times, with a few PD days, staff days etc thrown in. Lots of us have our pays averaged out over the whole year. However, even if that happens, we are still not obliged to work in the holidays, since the lower pay per fortnight is because we are only being paid for the weeks that we work.

If you are only being paid for term times, then you surely don't have to work in the holidays.

And Judy is right about the OH&S, but surely if you are working, then others must be too? Do some checking, because you could stir up trouble for yourself, especially if they suddenly realize they have to pay you LESS! 8O
Cheers, K 8-)
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

I am actually not allowed to work during holidays as it is deemed not safe to work alone. OH&S issue, suits me. =D>

I'm at a state school so I just take the time off as accumulated days off or leave without pay
its usually the latter as I dont seem to accumulate time, once 4.00 comes I'm outta here. :clap3:
rell

Post by rell »

I work in a vic dept school. I am under a 48/52 pay scheme therefore my pay is averaged out so i do get paid for the holidays. In return for this i am expected to work at least 5 days during the holidays. These 5 days are either done at the start of the year before teachers return or as in my case i do the 5 days during the term 2 holidays as i do all the electrical testing & tagging for the school. Due to OHS rules you cannot work alone so there is always be at least 1 other person in the school :redcard:
Narelle