marking glassware

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Krysia Lee
Job Title: Labbie
School: Brigidine College
Suburb: St Ives
State/Location: NSW

marking glassware

Post by Krysia Lee »

Hi
We are getting ready to move into our new labs next week and I was thinking of marking the glassware for each lab a different colour so that I know where its all come from. I tried enamel paint and its come off in the dishwasher. Has anyone got any suggestions?
Krysia
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Re: marking glassware

Post by kimmy »

We had this done a few years ago - One lab was green, one was red and so on, and it was hard to do as all the different types of paint came off. Nail Polish seemed to work the best. But in the end it was not worth the trouble. But your call.

Kimmy
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

If you are really keen you can acid etch or get a dremel tool with diamond point and engrave lab No on rim :crazy:
japezz
State/Location: NZ

Post by japezz »

I haven't tried marking glass but I colour-coded all the labels on trays of equipment -a different colour for each lab and prep room.
Of course it doesn't mean things are always put away but anything out of place stands out.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Some years back we put small patches of dymo tape on glassware for identification when we were obliged to take our own glassware for a titration competition at the uni. This glassware has been through the mill of all different types of washing including the dishwasher and the tape is still sticking to most of the glassware. If they still make dymo tape like they used to this might be the answer to your problem. Apart from that, my first reaction to your thread was "why bother?". Aren't you just making extra work for yourself?
Lyn.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Admittedly I only have 2 labs, but when I am returning glassware to labs I put it in a tote tray and take it to one cupboard, and when that is full the rest goes in the other cupboard. I like this method as it gives me an indication of when to purchase more glassware - when the second cupboard is almost empty! I always start at the same glassware cupboard each time in the lab that has the most glassware usage.
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Hi!
When I first started here all the labs had their own marked glassware. I finally ended that practise when I found I was spending too much time chasing up which lab bench in the labs was missing the equipment that would inevitably end up in the prep room. Much easier for me now to maintain glassware in all the labs by just checking once a week what each bench is short!
Lou P.
Learner Lab Technician
Wagga Wagga
NSW
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

WoooooHoooo its Friday,

I don't store any glassware in the labs, it goes out with each prac. that way I can keep an eye on it and make sure its clean. If its a large prac. its usually on a trolley. The only thing that is in the labs at each bench are (retort & clamps, tripod & gauze, bunsen, test tube rack and heat mat). That way I can keep track of breakages and don't have kids putting things in cupboards dirty or still have chemicals in them.

Have a great weekend everyone. :clap3:
natfrog
State/Location: NZ

Post by natfrog »

8) we have four lab rooms. Physics(red) Biology (green) Chemistry (blue) General (yellow)
The only worry I have is that my prep room is pink!!!! :rolleyes:
I would have preferred a sparkly purple!! 8)
All the retort stands, clamps, bunsens etc are colour-coded.
No problem there, except they walk.
Glassware is splodged with colour also, like measuring cylinders, beakers , spatulas, tongs, stuff like that.
Acrylic paint seems to be OK so far.
We are el-cheapo, get test pots from Resene paints.
Buenos noches
Nat
PS: I have to produce 40 test tube racks ( that take the 150 x 25 tubes).
Just ask the friendly tech at your woodworking dept.
Done!!! :grin:
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

I am with macca on this one.
I have been through all phases I think. My first school had colour coded glassware in glass cabinets. Easy. Other stuff in cupboards....not so easy.
Next school I kept everything in store and presented them on the trolleys when needed....except retort stands, and heating equipment.
Now I have come to this school where glassware, heating equipment, test tube racks, funnels and watchglasses were in stations around the room.
Obviously, after each practical not everything was put back in its place, let alone clean.
I have started to change the system of going back to my previous school. This way I have more control over the equipment and not just a 'mother' to each lab.
Now I am in the process of training the staff about the new regime.
Maree
p.s. Staff are generally happy about the system because everything needed is on the trolley and there is no need from students to be opening cupboards.
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

Im with you voice I provide everything they need on the trolly. so that next time it get's used I know it is clean and I can keep track of whats been broken. I still keep heating equiptment and retort stands under class benches but find regardless of how it or the shelves it's kept on, are marked, I still need to gatering it all up at least one a week and redistribute so that there are two sets per bench as oppose to four sets under one half a set under another etc