Gas taps

for anything else that doesn't fit.
cheltie
State/Location: NSW

Gas taps

Post by cheltie »

Hi Everyone,
I used the gas taps on the bench in my new prep room for the first time yesterday.
Went to use them today and no gas.
Checked the tap under the bench and it was turned on. Tried again a little later and it was working.
I don't have an emergency isolation switch in the prep room apart from the one on the fume cupboard so i knew that wasn't the problem.
I have worked out through trial and error that when the teacher turns off the gas switch in one of the labs it also turns off my gas.
Is everyones like this?
Seems a little dangerous to me that my gas can be turned on and off without me knowing and when I want gas that Lab has to have there's on also.
Helen
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Re: Gas taps

Post by Rowyrow »

our labs have an isolation valve in each room, for each room that requires a key to access.I also have one in my prep room ( which only has 2 gas outlets as oppose to the 16 in each class) along with the emergency shut offs.
Rita

Post by Rita »

I have to ask the teacher to turn their classroom gas on so I can use my gas taps too.

Rita
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

SURELY if they're new labs then someone didn't comply with some safety standard somewhere? 8O Surely it must be a requirement to have your own isolation switch.

Sorry, I know...applying logic again. How silly of me. :rolleyes:
Cheers, K 8-)
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

:D Hi if its a double sided fume cupboard, ie access from the prep room and the class room the keyed fume cupboard lock/ switch near the light switches etc in the classroom has to be turned on, does that answer your question? cheers MariaC
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

I have to turn the gas on in the closet lab, as the solonoid does the preproom too.
Trish :D
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi All
As my school was a project for the new labs I have a Master switch in my prep room for my gas and water only . :thumbup:
Each of the labs have there own. :thumbup:
I know that it was not the same company that did mine that did the rest of the dept school maybe they changed the plans to make it easy for them??????
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

Interesting that yours is different Noona.
It would certainly be easier for the plumbers this way as they have just run the gas pipe through from the lab next door I guess.
I wonder if the plans were changed or they just did it the easy way. Must have a look at the drawings.
I still feel it is a bit dangerous to have my gas controlled by a switch in another room.
Helen
cosmo
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
State/Location: VIC

Post by cosmo »

Yes, I too am subject to the whims of whatever teacher is in the lab that backs onto my prep bench :-(
Just hate interrupting classes by walking through the classroom to turn on the gas (under the teaching bench):-({|=
(but on the bright side I get to have a peek at what they're actually doing :popcorn:
cheers
Kate
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Or Maybe it is Cheap fix :redcard: :redcard: