Chemical Store Room

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi
State/Location: NSW

Chemical Store Room

Post by kimmy »

May seem a silly Question :?:
what type of lighting do you have in your chemical store rooms?
we are in the process of moving Chemical Sore Rooms and getting a new Exhaust System and the Elec guy has just said oh we need new lighting as this just wont do it may go up in a bang - I thought oh it is the same as in the old room? Is he trying to rip us off?? :redcard: ??
We just had fluros in the old one.
:idea:

Kimmy
Whspa

Re: Chemical Store Room

Post by Whspa »

We've only got fluoro's too. But our chemical store is just a classroom that was divided into two storerooms. The shelving units are wooden frames with chipboard shelves. Over the past few years we've added a Flammable and a Corrosives cabinet, and had an exhaust system installed. The new cabinets aren't connected to the exhaust, they just vent to the room.
Carol
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown

Post by smeee »

Is a Chemical Sore Room like a sickbay for unstable chemicals ?? :cheesy:
Sorry...can't help it...its Friday :giggle:
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

Ours is a fluro which is compleatly sealed in a big glass case thing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

As far as I'm aware they shouldn't be fluro's because of the starters, sparking and causing who knows what. "Not sure about that enclosed one though"

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
IT'S FRIDAY ALRIGHT
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

The term used for the lights required for storeroom is "intrinsically safe" some are sealed others just have a mesh cover that stops flash if inflammable fumes are in the room, often used in mining situations, go with them it's better to be safe than sorry!
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

Interesting that you should ask about Chem Store lights. I have sometimes wondered about ours. I do not know if they are "Intrinsically safe", but the fluoros are a pretty shade of PINK. Very similar to what they sometimes put in public toilets to stop the "junkies" shooting up! I am not sure if they think that perhaps I should be discouraged from shooting up in the chem store. (the job is not THAT bad!)

I have assumed that perhaps they were a special light that did not effect light sensitive chemicals, or something. I pray that my tubes last forever, 'cos I would not have a clue where to go to get replacements from. (??) 8-[

cheers
Ian :-?
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

Ian
Perhaps they want to keep Your "habit" out in the open, rather than behind closed doors! Hadn't thought about lights and related problems, must have a look at what we have!

Merilyn