Bunsen Burners

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Leanne
State/Location: NSW

Bunsen Burners

Post by Leanne »

Cleaning and unclogging the Bunsen Burners. Have unblocked most of them :D but a few will not unscrew. :-( Does anyone know howelse to do this. Have tried fine wire. Please help :cry2:

Leanne - Condo - It's raining
MichPull
State/Location: QLD

Replace them with new ones

Post by MichPull »

Hello Leanne

If the colum will not unsrew, and the fine wire and steel wool has not helped then toss them for new ones.
Even if you can get them unscrewed I find that they crack on next use as the stress on the column weakens it.

Regards
Michelle
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Hi Leanne

I have had some success using WD40 or similar. Spray a tiny bit on the thread, leave for a few minutes and then it should unscrew with a little elbow grease and a pair of multi grips. I have rescued quite a few this way.

Good luck

Julie
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

I have had success in taking them to the schools techie workshop, and securing the barrel in a metal vice. Makes it much easier to inscrew. Then once cleaned, put a little silicone grase on the thread before reassembling ;-)
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

If the barrel will not un screw then warm thread section in flame of another, usually it is wax dripped down inside then you can insert screwdriver shaft in through air holes and unscrew your industrial arts section will have cleaners for oxy cutting torches you willfind a suitable size to clean jets
Cheers Ocker