dodgy pH meter

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

dodgy pH meter

Post by Rowyrow »

Hi all,
Im having a bit of a problem with one of my pH meters. I was calibrating them all befor a prac today and one of them is doing some weird stuff! when placed in the pH7 buffer it quickly goes to a pH -0.8 where all the other meters go to pH 7.1. does anyone have any idead whats going on and if there is something I can do to fix it? I have tried calibrating with pH 10 buffer and pH 4 buffer but all i get os a 0r on the screen. The model I have from EUROTECH instruments/ OAKTON instruments, they have only been used one beofr an i made sure I conditioned and calibrated them befor use. No problem was knowticed previously, (but ithas been a good siz onths since they where used). Any Ideas ?
Rowyrow

Re: dodgy pH meter

Post by Rowyrow »

ok so after some research im gunn just guess that the probe is stuffed, by the looks of it the meter I have has replaceable probes so i will have to go looking for a replacement
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager
State/Location: NSW

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Havent heard of that one

Have you contacted the supplier?
Under warranty?
Complain and ask for a replacement unit?

I once callibrated one of mine with a mallet

It didnt play up at all after that :thumbup: :crazy:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I would recommend going to the supplier and asking them. It does sound rather strange! Especially when the other ones are working fine. I assume they have all been kept under the same conditions so they can't argue environmental factors! Should be replaced under warranty if they are fairly new and only used once!
Rowyrow

Post by Rowyrow »

That's the thing I don't know where they came from! They were ordered befor I started here last year ( by a teacher whos nolong working here) hmmmm :?
Lol
calibrated with a mallet
:cheesy:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Check with your accounts department. They may be able to help you if you know approximate time frame.
JelJane
State/Location: NZ

Post by JelJane »

If you haven't already tried it I would suggest reconditioning the electrode and /or changing the batteries. Try googling Oakton pH meters - they have tech tips for problems with their pH meters etc..
Rowyrow

Post by Rowyrow »

on further investigation it's not the actucal probe at al it is the unit itself. I switched the probes from one of the working ones and it's still not working, hmmm will have to track down a supplier. :-|